Learner

Mekayla POV

The reconstruction of Ulstead was almost complete. 'Within a week, Ulstead will be restored.' I yawned while watching the humans and faeries work together on rebuilding some houses. "Mekayla, when did you return to Ulstead?" Percival asked, raising a brow. "I don't know," I said grumpily. "Making over a hundred maps is exhausting," I complained, massaging the sides of my head. "Making maps?" Percival questioned. "For the Dark Fey," I mumbled. "The Dark Fey?" Percival hummed. Suddenly, there was a loud commotion beside us. The humans and faeries began to surround someone standing by the side of the river. 

Percival and I stood from the table and walked over to the person. Percival pulled out his sword, ready to fight if he needed to. We pushed our way through the crowd and stopped once we saw who everyone was staring at. Two familiar icy blue eyes found mine. "Udo?" I questioned. He smiled once he saw me. I ran to him, wrapping him in a hug. The crowd gasped, muttering amongst each other. 'How do they know each other? I didn't know that the Dark Fey could have white horns and wings. Are they together?' Udo hesitated at first but soon returned the hug. "Forgive me, Mekayla, but I am lost. The maps you made are very confusing," Udo chuckled. "You didn't think I'd make the challenge easy for you?" I gently pulled away from Udo. Udo raised a brow at me. "What?" I asked. "Um, are you wearing the same dress from yesterday?" I became flustered. "I didn't have time to change when I got back to Ulstead," I giggled embarrassingly. 

Udo nodded his head. "I see, and you didn't have time to sleep either?" Udo questioned. "Nope," I mumbled. Udo stepped closer and brushed some strands of hair out my face. "You should rest. You're in no condition to work," Udo suggested. "I took the day most of the day off yesterday. I can't leave whenever I want to," I said, taking Udo's hand into mine. "I know that I look like shit. However, I'm not letting that stop me from doing my job," I said with a cheeky smile. 

Borra POV

"This looks good," I muttered, placing the plant in my sack. 'I was close to Ulstead, I could tell. I could hear the humans from miles away.' "Why are they so loud?" I asked myself. I looked up at the sun. It was in the middle of the sky. "I can spare some time," I sneaked towards a few bushes near the river. Through the leaves, I could see the humans and moor folk surrounding someone. 
'They must be having a festival or something.' "I know that I look like shit. However, I'm not letting that stop me from doing my job," I heard Mekayla's sweet voice. I searched for her through the crowd of people and faeries. However, once I found her, my heart dropped into my stomach. Mekayla and Udo were holding hands. They spoke to one another a little more, then separated. Mekayla walked away with the human, Percival, and Udo returned to the moors. 

Once Udo was close enough to me, I tackled him to the ground. "What the hell, Borra?" Udo asked as I got off of him. "I saw you were holding hands with Mekayla," I hissed. Udo brushed the dirt and grass off his clothes. "Yes, Borra. Friends sometimes hold hands. You and I held hands when we were younger," Udo regained his composure. I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. "I'm sorry. It's just that Mekayla means more to me than you know. For the first time in years, I feel more alive than ever. I don't want to lose her," I sat next to Udo. He placed an understanding hand on my shoulder. "I understand, Borra. You were feeling a little jealous," Udo said understandably. "Does this have something to do with Zyraine?" I groaned at the sound of his name. "What has he done?" Udo asked. 

"For the past few weeks, he has threatened to tell Mekayla about my secret. He has admitted that he will do whatever it takes to win Mekayla over," I ranted, feeling my blood start to boil. "Why haven't you told the elders?" Udo frowned. "I have no evidence. It would be my word against his. He could twist his version of the story to make me seem like the villain. He has done it before," I clenched my fist. Udo sighed as he ran his fingers through his platinum hair. "No matter what, Ini, Shrike, and I will be here for you. Zyraine is going to point you out to be the bad guy. There is not much we can do about that. However, if Mekayla means so much to you, prove Zyraine wrong," Udo suggested. Before I could speak, Udo picked up his sack and map. "I should go before someone sees us and thinks we're cheating. Remember what I said, ok?" Udo whispered as he ran off into the moors.