Chapter 13

George gently knocked on the bedroom door, then let himself in, a plate with some eggs and bacon in his hand. Clay hadn't moved from his spot on the bed all morning. He had the covers pulled up to his chest and he was staring up at the ceiling, looking just as emotionally drained as he felt. George placed the plate on the bedside table, then sat beside Clay's legs. "You need to get out of bed eventually."

"I can't," Clay responded. "Everything aches."

"We need you on this mission, Clay. I need you." George peeled the blanket back until he found Clay's hands. He grabbed them and squeezed tightly. "I know you're stressed, but things are going to be okay."

"Where did I go wrong?" Clay whispered. "I thought he was okay. I thought he was happy. What did I do that made him so depressed?"

"No one ever said that he was depressed or hurting."

"He ran away, George." Clay sat up in bed and let go of George's hands. "Kids don't just run away because they feel like it."

George looked out the window. "I know, but no one blames you. If anything, I'm to blame."

Clay rubbed George's back. "Don't say that, love."

"I could've stayed with him longer. I could've made sure that he was actually okay. I set him off by reminding him of his attack that night."

Clay pulled George closer to him and cradled his head against his bare chest. "You were nothing but amazing to him."

George gripped Clay's arms tightly, silently asking him to keep holding him. "So were you, honey. So were you."

Clay planted a soft kiss onto George's head. "Everything is going to be okay."

"Hey, I was supposed to be the one to comfort you here!" George looked up at Clay. "How did you end up comforting me?"

"Do you want me to stop?"

"No."

"Then, quit complaining!"

George giggled as he pushed away from Clay. "We do need to get some stuff done, though. Nick will be coming over in a bit so we can relax together. Maybe we can watch a movie?"

"Would that require me to move from this spot?"

"Well...yeah-"

Clay pulled the comforter over his head. "Fuck that. I'm going back to bed."

George grabbed the comforter and pulled it back. "Clay, you've been in bed for days now. You need to get up. This isn't healthy. You don't have to leave the house, but I do at least need you to get dressed and take a shower, okay? Come on, you can do this." George grabbed Clay's hands and pulled him up. "Get yourself cleaned up and eat your breakfast. I'm going to straighten up downstairs." With a long, exaggerated whine, Clay got out of bed and headed for the bathroom, grabbing his towel hanging on the door's hook before closing the door behind him.

As soon as Clay was out of sight, George let his face fall. He'd been struggling with Dylan's disappearance just as much as Clay was, but he'd been trying to stay strong for his boyfriend as best as he could. He left the bedroom and closed the door behind him, then walked downstairs to begin preparing for Nick's arrival.

George still had no idea why Nick wanted to come over so badly. The last time they saw each other, Nick demanded that George and Clay be free on this particular day so he could visit, claiming that the two needed to have a bit of fun on their day off. He also asked if he could bring Zak along with him since he was struggling with this whole thing too. Of course, George obliged. How could he have said no?