01

i

i. detention

december 2nd, 1989

By December of first year, Juniper and the twins had managed to recieve detention more times than expected

By December of first year, Juniper and the twins had managed to recieve detention more times than expected. The three had to suffer for what felt like a extremely long time, waiting for Filch to pass out before they were able to whisper to one another, planning their next prank. This time, the pranks were not planned instead they planned to break open the drawers in the corner of his office.

At the moment, he was still dozing in between snores, but if he stuck to schedule he would probably be asleep by eight. And he was, which was no surprise. Based on their previous experiences in detention, Filch fell asleep around eight on weekdays and no later than nine on weekends. The trio also had a "schedule." They kept track of who did what on the days of detention and would come up with new things to fool Filch with or switch out what they did. On that cold day, Juniper was tracing shapes into the palm of her hand, Fred was sitting up straight pretending to be focused on the jail-like window, and George was "asleep" with his head on his desk. Every so often Fred would look away from the window and provide a hidden, unquestioned signal.

Filch had fallen asleep and was snoring loudly before Fred decided to peek in his direction, so the three immediately got to work. It was disallowed to bring a wand to detention unless it was work in the Forbidden Forest for obvious reasons. Thankfully, based on Juniper's book-reading experiences she had taken note that bobby pins were supposed to have the ability to pick locks. She was unsure if they actually worked, but it was the best solution to the problem without breaking rules any further than they already had (hey, nobody ever said snooping through Filch's drawers was banned!)

The trio quickly got to work, each having an individual panic of when Filch would wake up. George was wringing his hands, stressful staring at the grumpy old man. Juniper had tugged a pin from her curly platinum hair and silently pushed it into the small key hole.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" George inquired, watching as she fiddled with the lock. "I'm not one to doubt you, but I really do believe that these locks are different from the ones you've read about."