Chapter 9

2 months have gone by and Isamu's training with Rengoku has pushed him to new levels. Rengoku even has his own training routines on different days of the week.

Monday-chest, abs, and endurance.
Tuesday-legs, calves, and endurance.
Wednesday-biceps, triceps, and endurance.
Thursday-shoulders, traps, and endurance.
Friday-back, abs, and endurance.

Weekends were a different case. Instead of regular workouts, Rengoku would have Isamu focus on sword training and running long distances with weights attached to his ankles. They were heavier than expected, but he didn't let that stop him. The more intense the training, the more Isamu likes to work to complete it.

He was swinging a bokken repeatedly for a while with Rengoku watching.

Rengoku: Loosen up your shoulders. There's no need to tense up so much.

Isamu: Like this?

He swings down again, but with a faster and cleaner motion.

Rengoku: That's right.

He goes right back to training and spars with Rengoku. Isamu's picked up on Rengoku's fighting style and managed to land a few strikes, but he was still far from Rengoku's level. Isamu went for one more strike but ended up getting parried and hit in the back.

Rengoku: I think that's enough for now. It's time for relaxing!

Isamu breathes heavily as he drinks some water and rubs his face with a towel. He even had to stake his shirt off to cool down. Isamu did like the way his new set of scars looked on him.

Rengoku: You show great promise. You've clearly been taught by a highly skilled swordsman! Who was it that trained you?

Isamu: My master, Katsumoto Moritsugu. A descendant of a samurai clan and even a former hashira.

Rengoku: Was he now? What breathing style did he use?

Isamu: I wish I knew? Whenever I would ask him about his time in the Demon Slayer Corps he would just brush off the question.

Rengoku: He still must've been a good man! What was he like?

Isamu: He was a man of dedication and poetry. He was slightly frail and not in good health, but he kept teaching us in his province. He would work us to the bone every day. Despite being hard or painful, he never once gave up on his students, even if we gave up on ourselves. As the years went on, our relationship felt like an actual father-son bond. Training and praying together. Waking up early had just become natural to me. When we messed up, he never once mocked us or talked down to us. Instead, he would tell us how to improve. Over the years, his illness worsened to the point where even moving was painful. His students started dying one by one, despite knowing breathing techniques. When the time for final selection came, I was his only student left. After I completed the final selection, we only spent a few short minutes talking before he finally passed on. After that, I made a vow to myself that I would never give up on myself. No matter how difficult the training is or how strong the opponent is, I will always get back up!

Rengoku: A wise man indeed! He taught you well!

Isamu: I intend to keep that promise till the day that I die. Whether in battle or by nature, I will stay true to my words.

Rengoku: You have much fire in your heart! A flame that never burns to embers!

Kakushi: Sorry to disturb you, but you have a visitor.

Tanjiro: Hey, Isamu!

Isamu: Tanjiro! What are you doing here?

Tanjiro: You mean you don't know? We're getting our swords today! I'm so excited!