Chapter 11

Chapter 11.

November 1943
Auschwitz, Poland

It was Sunday. They weren't forced to go for work on Sunday but they  didn't get the day to themselves either.

"They want us to clean these barracks," Ruth grumbled. "Too bad they don't give us the proper supplies for it. What would I give for huge tubs of water and heaps of soap to scrub all these filthy blankets."

"And then there is the shower," Susi reminded with a shudder. "Ice cold shower in this freezing weather. I dread Sundays for that very reason."

"But at least we can get clean," Ruth stated. "I've got to try and wash all the grim off of me. The morning washes don't do the trick at all."

"You hated the showers more than any of us," Sara pointed out in shock. "How can you suddenly change you mind?"

"It's because Erik is here," Susi laughed. "Now she's suddenly self conscious of her appearance. Even if she only catches a glimpse of him once or twice a day she's determined to look her best."

Sara rolled her eyes. "It's been years, Ruth, years. And anyway, look at you now! Hair shaven off, sacks under sallow eyes, thin as a stick, dressed in that awful prison dress."

Ruth's face hardened. "It's not all shaven off anymore,"  she mumbled as she ran her hand through her hair. "It's started growing back."

"They'll shave it off again sooner or later. Hair is a nuisance here with all the lice and fleas. There's nothing attractive about you. You're not the Ruth he remembers. Even if he pities you for old friendship sake, you honestly think he'll want you romantically now? Even if you weren't a Jew and he a Nazi, what do you have to recommend yourself to a young army hero who probably has scores of beautiful, healthy girls falling over themselves for his attention?"

Those words stung, and they stung hard. Ruth turned away from her sister and tried to compose herself. It wasn't true! Everything her sister said wasn't true. He wasn't like that. It wasn't just pity for old friendships sake. Sara didn't know anything. She was saying those things to hurt her.

Sara came up and put her arm around Ruth. "It's better hurt and know the truth than believe a lie, Ruth. I'm only telling you this so you won't deceive yourself."

"Don't touch me," Ruth snapped, pushing her sister away. "Leave me alone, Sara. I don't want to talk to you, right now I don't even want to look at you."

"It's okay, be mad, you'll thank me later."

***

They had just finished their shower and had been brought back, wet and shivering, to the bunks when a rapportführerin suddenly entered the barracks and called out in a loud, threatening voice,

"Prisoner 86955"

Ruth felt her heart slowing down. Sara and Susi looked at her in terror.

"Don't make me repeat myself, or all of you here will be sorry."

Trembling Ruth stepped up to the menacing woman.

"Follow me."

She cast a glance back at her sister and cousin. Would this be the last time she ever saw them? Sara had tears in her eyes. Ruth tried to smile at her in feeble reassurance. As she followed the rapportführerin out of the barracks Ruth racked her brain trying to remember if she had done something wrong. If she had done something against the rules. Had they found out about the bread Erik had given her? Could it be that?

Once outside there was a rapportführer waiting.

"This is the one?" The rapportführerin  said.

He looked her up and down and gave a cruel smile that sent shivers down Ruth's spine.

"Come along, you," he said, grabbing her arm and giving a rough pull. Ruth stumbled and fell to the ground.

"Get up and be quick about it," he shouted at her. The terrified woman scrambled to her feet. The man grabbed her arm and started dragging her off. Ruth struggled to keep up with his pace, determined not to fall again. He might beat her if she did.

In this manner they came up to a building Ruth was not familiar with. They entered and the man pulled her over to one of the doors. He opened it and shoved her inside. She stumbled again from the force of it and fell to the floor, just barely missing what looked like the wooden leg of a table.

"You'll know better than to make a mess of things by the time they're done with you." He laughed and shut the door.

Ruth glanced around at her surroundings. She was in an office of some sort. There was a wooden desk upon which were a stack of papers and a telephone. Two chairs stood on opposite ends of the desk. There was nothing else save a coat hanger that stood by the door.

No one was in the room, but this brought little comfort to her. No doubt the 'they' would show up soon to be 'done' with her.

For a few minutes she sat alone, crouched by the desk leg. Then she saw the door handle turn. Ruth took a deep breath and braced herself, but nothing happened. The handle remained pulled down but the door didn't open.

"Odd." Ruth couldn't help think. A minute passed, then another. The suspense was beginning to kill the poor girl. Couldn't whoever was on the other side just come in and get this whole thing done and over with?

In some attempt to preserve her sanity Ruth forced her eyes away from the door handle and fixed her gaze on her hands.
At last she heard the door open and the heavy scent of cigarette smoke drifted in. Footsteps sounded as someone wearing heavy army boots entered. The door was shut and locked. This action caused Ruth's heart to start beating furiously and she kept her gaze fixed on her hands. The boots stood still for a few seconds then walked over to where she sat crouched by the desk. They paused beside her and Ruth heard something being set down on the desk with a gentle thud.

Then the person knelt down and a pair of weather beaten hands reached out and took hers.

It was a loving action, the hands were gentle, their pressure soft and warm. It had been months since Ruth had been handled in such a tender fashion. Lifting her gaze she found herself looking into a pair of light blue eyes and his name escaped her lips with a soft gasp.

"Erik!"