Epilogue

Epilogue.

June 1963
Mürren, Switzerland.

There was a soft, evening breeze blowing about, spreading a delightful sweetness to the air. Susi took a deep breath, savoring it. These June evenings were her favorite. She locked the door to her doctor's office and smiled when she saw her husband, Rolf, waiting for her not far off. He often came when she was locking up to walk her home.

Susi glanced around at the picturesque views that surrounded the village of Mürren. How different it all was from the horrors of Auschwitz. Even now, nearly twenty years later, she could not forget the brutality she had experienced.

But she could move on.

She had survived. For some unknown reason she and Sara had been transferred from their barracks to another one and sent to work in the kitchen. This had saved their lives. A week later all the women from their block had been sent to the gas chambers.

Susi knew who was behind it. Sara had refused to believe it. But Susi knew and she would be forever grateful.

Rumors had spread that the youngest Schultz had committed suicide. His body had been found at last in the river so mutilated that it was beyond recognition. It had been sent home in a sealed coffin.

The family had kept face. But not for long.

After the war Johanna had been captured, tried, found guilty of crimes against humanity and hung.

Susi wasn't sure what had happened to Fritz. Some said he committed suicide. Some said he escaped with his family to Argentina. If he was still alive she hoped his consciousness tortured him every day knowing it was he who caused the death of his own brother.

After the liberation of Auschwitz, Sara and Susi had gone back to Holland to search for their family. But like so many others they discovered they were the only ones left. Sara had decided to immigrate to the US. Susi moved to Switzerland. Here in the tiny village of Mürren she had opened a doctor's office, found love, married, and had three children.

Her eldest daughter, a carefree girl carrying the same name of the beloved cousin who never returned from Auschwitz, was now running to meet her. She dragged her boyfriend, Erik, behind her.

"Mama, Papa," Sixteen year old Ruth stated breathlessly. "Erik and I are going to the out outskirts to paint the sunset."

Rolf frowned at this proposal. "You can't paint, Ruth."

"So what? Erik can paint well enough for the two of us! I'll just sit and keep him company."

"I don't think it's a good idea. It's getting late and will be dark soon."

"Which is why, Papa, we must go now if we are to catch the sunset at all. Oh please, Mama, please let us go." Ruth looked pleadingly at her mother. Susi let out a small laugh.

"Let them go, Rolf, the summer days are long anyway and the sunset is beautiful. But you two don't go far and come back before it gets dark. If you get stuck out there again I'll send your father after you and I don't promise Erik will survive another such encounter."

Ruth's eyes sparkled. "Thank you, Mama, we'll remember. I told you Mama would let us. Let's go, Erik."

Erik barely had time to thank them in his shy, boyish manner before he was once more dragged away by Ruth.

Rolf shook his head. "You're too easy on them, Susi, always letting get away with whatever nonsense they set their minds on. Is it really good for them?"

Susi let out reminiscent laugh as she watched the two teenagers run off. "You know, once upon a time I knew a Ruth and an Erik. She was energetic and playful, he was quiet and artistic. They dreamed of living in the Swiss Alps and painting the mountain views. But it was not meant to be." Susi's eyes became moist as she turned her attention to the majestic mountain peaks. "It was not meant to be. Rather she was sent to her death, and he chose to share her fate, so great was his love for her."

Letting out a sigh, Susi wiped her eyes and took her husband's hand. "Maybe I am too easy on them, Rolf, maybe I really am. It's just that, I guess I allow those two youngsters to enjoy their love without any hindrances or obstacles is because, in doing so, I hope to give Ruth Kohen and Erik Schultz a happy ending."