CHAPTER SEVEN: HALLOWEEN EVE

Ransom groans and hides his face in your neck. "What do you want, Theo?"

"Since when are you two makeout buddies?"

"Makeout buddies? Ew." You shake your head.

Ransom lifts up his head and looks behind him where Theo is standing in the doorway. "You locked us up in the loft for hours, what did you think was going to happen?"

"I don't know, it was Chase's idea."

You roll your eyes.

Ransom moves away from you and gets off of the couch, holding out his hands for you to take them. "Let's go to my room."

You take his hands and let him pull you to your feet. He lets go of one of your hands and leads you out of the room, stopping in front of Theo who is blocking the door.

"Are you going to let us out or do you want us to keep making out on the couch? Either way I'm fine with it."

"Please, go." Theo steps out of Ransom's way, making you laugh.

"How are you grossed out right now?" You tilt your head curiously.

"I don't know, I've never seen you like this with a guy before." He shrugs.

"That's because they were too busy cheating on me."

"Alright. Theo say bye to kitten." Ransom wraps his arm around your waist and lifts you up to carry you to his room. "I wanna see if I can make you purr." He grins.

You laugh and cover your face with your hands, shaking your head.

"Gross!" Theo calls out.

Ransom stops and turns around. "Who are you calling gross?" He puts you down. "Because we share a wall pal, I can hear everything."

You leave them to bicker in the hallway and go hide in Ransom's room. You take off your shoes and climb on his bed, covering yourself with one of the blankets while you wait for him to stop fighting with Theo.

"Remind me why we are living with these guys again?" Ransom asks after walking in and closing his door.

"Because otherwise we would be living in tiny, shitty apartments with crazy roommates."

"I need to get rich again." He shakes his head while taking off his shoes and joining you on his bed.

"How do you plan on doing that?" You chuckle.

He shrugs. "I don't know, but it can't be that hard."

"Well if you figure it out, please let me know."

"Don't worry, I got you kitten." He kisses your cheek before settling down next to you. "In the meantime we just have to hide in our rooms."

"I know what we can do while we hide! I'll be right back." You get out of his bed and run to your room only to come back less than a minute later, holding a book. You get back on his bed and give him the book. "I believe it was your turn to read when we stopped."

Ransom smiles and takes the book, Harlan's latest novel, quickly opening it to the chapter you stopped on. "Alright, ready?"

You snuggle into his side and rest your head on his shoulder, covering you both with the blanket. "Ready."

Just like the night Ransom spent in your room, you pass the book between the two of you and each read a chapter until you're completely done with the book hours later.

"How did you guess so early on who had done it? You read it before, didn't you?"

You laugh and shake your head. "I swear I didn't. I just got a vibe from the character." You shrug.