Unicorns & Cats

"Honey, are you feeling okay?" Lisa asked as I sit down.
I felt drowsy this morning, I guess I did stay up a little too late editing.
"Just drowsy."
She took a sip of her orange juice and checked the time on her phone. "Why don't you take a walk? It's really nice outside today."
I nod. "Alright. I guess so."
She smiled and stood up. "And can you please take the dog with you, sweetie?"

As I walk around the park, I feel less drowsy.
It's a very cool day. It being California and all.
I sit down, and pet Corny.
I look straight ahead, and see a little girl, walking.
She seemed to have raggedy clothes on, and her hair was very messed up.
She walked passed me and quickly glanced at Corny.
"Oh my goodness! Your puppy is so cute! May I pet it?"
I smile. "Sure!"
She pets it softly and Corny showed her lots of affection.
"What's it's name?"
I pet behind Corny's ear. "Unicorn."
She laughs. "That's adorable!"
I laugh, too. "We call him Corny, though."
She smiles. "Cute."
"So, what's your name, if you don't mind me asking?" I ask.
"I'm Cathron." She clears her throat. "But, you can call me Cat. My names spelled C-A-T-H-R-O-N, and everyone pronounces it wrong."
"That's really cool. I'm Shane. It was really nice meeting you."
She steps back and waves at me. "I should be going. Bye Corny! Bye Shane!"
I wave too. "See ya later, Cat."

"How was your walk? You weren't gone very long. Everything okay?"
Lisa says as I walk into the house.
"I met a really adorable little girl. Her name was Cat, and she was very fond of Corny."
Lisa hugs me. "Aww! How cute."
I unleash Corny. "She also didn't look so great.
She looked up from petting Corny. "What do you mean?"
I shrugged. "She looked poor."
"Oh."
"Yeah."
Lisa was looking sort of sad. Lisa always got sad over things like this.
Later that night, it rained. Hard.
Lisa was staring out the window, admiring the storm, and I decided  to walk over next to her and watch along with her.
Lisa puts her hands to her mouth.
We see Cat laying beneath a tree, soaking wet.
"Shane, look at that little girl!"
I look at her.
She looks at me, then her mouth opens. "Is that... Her?"
I nod and look out to her. "Get the umbrella."

Cat looks up from her knees.
Lisa smiles and leans down to her. "Hello! Are you okay? Would you like to come in?"
Cat looks behind Lisa to me.
I smile and Cat smiles too.
Cat looks back at Lisa and nods. "I'd very much like to."

Cat runs to me, and gives me the biggest hug ever. "Shane!" she exclaims.
I hug her too, and smile. "Cat! Why are you outside all alone? Where's your family?"
She looked up at me. "I don't have a family. My parents died when I was 4. I didn't have any grandparents except for my grandma Anne who died when I was 6, so I decided to run away. The police never looked for me. I always lived alone by myself, living off of money I stole from aunt Anne... *quivers* That's the past. I'm over the stealing...I'm 12 and everything is okay."
"How could she have survived all to herself for so long? Very strange."  I think to myself, mesmerized on the thought. She must be very brave for doing so.
Lisa got down to her knees. "How could you have managed? You must be very smart. I can't even comprehend this.
Cat looks down and scratches her head. "I know basic math facts up until 3rd grade..."
Lisa held her hand and looked at her clothing. "Do you want to come shopping with me tomorrow?"
"I don't want you to spend money on me." Cat said.
Lisa hugged her tightly. "You need it. And it's no burden. I want to help you!"
I looked at Cat.
I wonder why she trusts us. I mean, that's a very strong thing to do. We are really lucky to have Cat with us.
And I'm still not sure if I trust the story she told.