Chapter Eight: New Missions

The next day, after breakfast, Shelby was called into the Instructor's office once more. "Hello, young one." She said at her desk, stirring a cup of tea. "I have an assignment for you." The Instructor said plainly. "If you're up for it, and you won't have anymore rebellious actions." She tapped her spoon on the edge of the tea cup. "Yes ma'am, I'm ready for it. I won't rebel against the Program anymore, I swear." Shelby promised. "Alright. Here you go." She slid a folder across the desk for Shelby. "And you'll be partnered with Dylan from the boys' Program, so no more funny business." The Instructor said, sipping from her tea cup. "Yes ma'am." She opened the folder, and inside, she saw that she was going to California. "Do you remember it?" The Instructor asked. "California? The beach?" She asked again.

Shelby swallowed hard. "Yes ma'am. I won't get distracted, I'll be in and out, no one will know I'm there, and if they do, no witnesses." She answered. Her long hair was tied up in a high ponytail, but could still feel it against the back of her neck. She scratched at it, and left the room. She went to put the red folder in her dorm room, and went to her next class. After dinner was over that night, she went to channel ten again. "Rich? Rich, I'm ready." She said anxiously. There wasn't an answer, but just static. Maybe he hadn't gotten back to his dorm room yet. After ten minutes, she tried again. "Rich?" She called. No answer. She tried again after ten minutes. "Rich, please be there, this is important." She said.

"I'm here, what is it?" He asked slowly. "I'm ready. I'm ready to be done with this." She said again. "I'm ready to leave. I have an assignment in California. I can catch a flight anywhere in the world, and I want you to come with me." She added. "Okay. I'm ready, too. I'll meet you in Springfeild, Illinois. Don't forget to use an alias to book your flight. I'll call you when I land, and get a phone, we can't keep talking like this every night." He said. "Good luck, and I'll meet you at the airport, I'll hold up a sign, or something." He said with a chuckle. Shelby chuckled softly, and said "Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow in Illinois. Do you have a mission tomorrow?" She asked. "Let me worry about that." He assured. "Okay. See you tomorrow." Shelby sighed. "Good night, Shelby." Rich said softly. "Good night, Rich." Shelby replied. And with that, they had planned their escape.