Chapter 16: Dr. Park and Family Additions

The cell Minho was placed in was windowless and rectangular. The walls, ceiling, and floor were lined in a soft, pinkish rubber coating that resembled the material that pencil erasers are made of. Mounted to each wall were surveillance cameras, speaker boxes, and other sensors designed to monitor the cell's occupant's activities. On one wall were two chrome bars that stuck out about six inches from the wall—similar to the testing apparatus in the exam room.

In one corner of the room, there was a porcelain toilet and sink. The only thing that looked normal was the bed, which was on a wood frame.

Minho walked over to the bed. There was no metal of any kind used in its construction. The mattress was filled with down feathers. The bed had one other difference he didn't fail to notice: leather restraining straps.

The room was lit by fluorescent lighting concealed behind thick plastic plates. There was neither a thermostat nor switches in the space of any kind, and he had no control over light, heat, or air. The people watching him from the cameras would decide when he would have lights and how hot or cold he would be. He had no control over anything.

Minho turned on the sink and was grateful that water came out. He still felt nauseous from the car ride, and he washed his face in the cold water. Then he went and lay on his bed, looking up at the ceiling.

He wasn't sure what time it was. He wasn't even sure what day it was. Mr. Son would be furious with him for missing practice. Minho shook his head. He would have laughed at the thought had he not been so afraid. If only Mr. Son was the worst of his worries. Besides, everyone would know by now that he had been abducted. They had to, didn't they? His friends would be calling one another; they'd organize search parties. Wouldn't they?

He thought of how worried her parents must be. A few days earlier, they had scolded him for being gone from home too much. The argument had ended with him the door to his bedroom. He regretted how he had acted. He'd give up everything he had to be home right now. Even dance.

As Minho lay on top of the bed thinking, he heard a quick burst of air followed by a sharp metallic click. His door opened. Ryujin stepped inside, followed by a tall man in a suit and tie. He wore oversized black-rimmed glasses with dark lenses that concealed his eyes, similar to the doctor's glasses during his tests.

"Sit up," Ryujin barked.

Minho sat up on the bed. The man walked to the center of the room. "Hello, Minho," he said. "You're a sight for sore eyes."

Minho stared at him, his heart pounding fiercely.

"He said 'hello,'" Ryujin said. Then, a sharp, piercing scream entered Minho's head.

Minho grabbed his ears and let out a small scream. "Stop!"

"Stop it," the man said sharply to Ryujin. "Go."

Ryujin frowned. "Yes, sir." She walked out of the room without so much of a glance at Minho.

"I'm sorry about her," the man said. "She gets a bit Draconian."

"I hate her," Minho said. He immediately regretted this, wondering if he'd be punished.

To his surprise, the man just nodded. "Be assured that you're not alone in that," he said. "Most of the students here do." He smiled warmly. "Let's start over. I'm Dr. Park. You are at the Elgen Academy. I hope your trip here wasn't too unpleasant."

Minho looked at him incredulously. "Why have you kidnapped me? You can't hold me here. My mother will find you and—"

He raised his hand. "Your adopted mother, Lee Sooyeol of the Gimpo Police Department, thinks her little boy has run away. In fact, you have already texted her twice today telling her how much you dislike her and how you never intend to go home as long as she's there."