Chapter 60: Pitstop

Jisung woke with the sun streaming in through the window. He looked over at the clock next to the bed. It was nearly six, almost time for them to leave for our flight. "Seungmin?" He sat up and looked around the room, but he was gone. His bag was gone. "I can't believe he didn't wake me up," he said to himself. He pulled on his pants and shirt and ran out into the hall, but no one was around. He walked down to Minho's room and knocked on the door, but he didn't answer. Then he tried to open the door. It was locked. They must all be having breakfast, he thought. When he got to the dining hall, his heart froze. It was also empty. No Stray Kids. No staff. No one. What's going on?

He ran back to the Ranch House to his mother's room and knocked on her door. "Mom!" He shouted. Nothing. He opened her door. "Mom, it's me." He looked inside her room. She wasn't there. In fact, the room was vacant, cleared out as if it had never been occupied. Where is everyone? He thought. He stepped back out into the hallway.

"Where is everyone?" He shouted. No one answered. He ran back to the main room of the Ranch House and out the front door onto the dirt drive. The buildings and vehicles surrounding the ranch were gone. Then he turned back, and the Ranch House was also gone. He looked around. There were miles and miles of tumbleweeds and a dusty, barren landscape.

And then he woke from the nightmare.

* * *

The next morning came too early. Way too early. He reached over to hit the snooze button, and he must have pulsed because the radio–alarm clock practically exploded. Seungmin laughed.

"Dude, you fried it."

He groaned. "Someone had to."

"Time to get up, lover boy," he said.

He sat up and wiped the sleep from his eyes, then walked to the bathroom and showered. Seungmin was already gone when he got out. He dressed, then went to the dining room for breakfast. His mother was waiting for him. Her eyes were red, and he could tell she had been crying, even though she tried to hide it. She smiled when she saw him. "How was last night?"

"It was perfect. Thank you."

"It was my pleasure."

A few minutes later, Minho walked in with his mother. They both looked tired, and their eyes were red and puffy from crying, but he smiled when he saw him. He walked up to him, and they hugged.

His mother told Minho, "Jisung said you two had a good time last night."

"Thank you so much," Minho said. "It was one of the best nights of my life."

"I'm so glad," she said with a sigh. "Now we'd better get some food in you two. We only have an hour before you leave."

They all walked over to the buffet tables. "I asked the cooks to prepare something special," his mom said. "Waffles."

Jisung piled a plate high with waffles, along with strawberry jam and whipped cream. Seungmin was sitting with his parents.

As they ate, his mother got more emotional. She kept dabbing at her eyes with her napkin.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I hate goodbyes."

"It's going to be okay. I'll be okay," he said.

"You be safe," she said sternly. "You promised."

* * *

They had just finished eating when Joel walked into the room. "Stray Kids, you have twenty minutes before your bus leaves."