Miss American Pie

A/N: I'm not good at writing action stuffs and angst but here's a short oneshot.

—————

"A soul for a soul"

You let out an exaggerated sigh knowing that there's no turning back and you've already made your decision.

You searched for your phone in every pocket you have in your vest right now.

"There you go..." You mumbled as you took it out, Natasha, who is looking at you with a face that says "this isn't the time for you to use your phone".

You searched through your music list and selected "Bye Bye Miss American Pie" by Bill Cassidy

A long, long time ago
I can still remember how that music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
With every paper, I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step

"Well, would you like to dance?" You smiled sadly at her.

You both know that this is the last time you're seeing each other and she accepted your hand as she stood up from where she is seated.

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

So bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, But the levee was dry
And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in Rye
Singin', "This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die"

You don't know how the two of you will start dancing so you just stood there in front of her and the same goes for the redhead, you were too lost in her emerald eyes to the point that you didn't even notice that she stretched out her arm and pulled you in, her hands on your waist, and yours are already wrapped around her shoulders.

Natasha Romanoff never let anyone get close to her unless it's a close friend of hers and you only talked to her once when you guys were assigned to debrief a mission.

Did you write the book of love
And do you have faith in God above
If the Bible tells you so?
Do you believe in rock and roll?
Can music save your mortal soul?
And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Well, I know that you're in love with him
'Cause I saw you dancin' in the gym
You both kicked off your shoes
Man, I dig those rhythm and blues
I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck
With a pink carnation and a pickup truck
But I knew I was out of luck
The day the music died

You just started laughing nowhere, realizing that this is the first and probably the last time you'll be working and will feel Natasha's comforting aura. If you never got the time to find your soulmate you're hoping that it'll be her, Natasha Romanoff. Even if you weren't meant to be together but no one will reject not just an Avenger but an amazing woman you've met in your entire existence.

"Can I hug you?" Natasha whispered to you in a small voice, her hands were shaking as you gave her a nod of approval to her question.

Burying your face on the crook of her neck and her arms are now wrapped around your body, you felt a string wrapped around your pinky finger. The single thread of gold that was also tied on her finger and the one you both waited for so long to appear, turns out it's just the both of you.

"It's you" she smiled and tears formed in both of your eyes as she pressed her lips on yours after asking for your approval once again.

"I started singin' bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, But the levee was dry
Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in Rye
Singin', "This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die". You both sang while looking into each other's eyes, a tear escaping them as the song keeps playing in the eerie atmosphere of the place you're in.

Now for ten years, we've been on our own
And moss grows fat on a rollin' stone
But that's not how it used to be
When the jester sang for the king and queen
In a coat, he borrowed from James Dean
And a voice that came from you and me

Who could have thought that you two are soulmates, but unfortunately you already have to leave "your home" right after finding out the news. The Natasha Romanoff that everyone admired for being a strong and confident woman is bound to meet someone who she kept ignoring before because of how shy she gets when she sees you and it turns out she's the one she's been looking for years, the rare golden string that connected both of you since the very first day you two were born.

Oh, and while the king was looking down
The jester stole his thorny crown
The courtroom was adjourned
No verdict was returned
And while Lenin read a book of Marx
The quartet practiced in the park
And we sang dirges in the dark
The day the music died

Both of you aren't dancing anymore, you're now trying to get to the edge of the cliff ready to take the risk of sacrificing your own souls just for the other person to return to your world.

Natasha released a widow bite towards you as you were about to jump off, preventing you from your attempt.

We were singin' bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, But the levee was dry
Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in Rye
Singin', "This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die".

Your phone was tucked in Natasha's vest, and music is still playing. You weren't sure how'd she put it in there but you're sure that she's doing everything she can for you not to sacrifice yourself.

As you were still retrieving your energy back, Natasha leaped off and you followed her right after, hooking the grappling hook on her belt and shooting it somewhere in the upper part of the cliff. You were expecting your hand to slide but her hand caught yours before you can fall.

So bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, But the levee was dry

"I love you in every universe, Natalia."

The hook is starting to give up by the combined weight of you and your soulmate.

"Let me go..."

"No, no. There must be another way"

Natasha was trying to fool herself, she knows that there is no other way or else both of you will end up at the bottom of the cliff.

"You'll be alright... I'll be here to guide you"

You kicked off your feet causing Natasha to lose her grip on you, and just like that...the warmth of Natasha's hand faded as the bitter welcome of death wrapped around your hand.

Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in Rye

Clutched hands and inside it is a glowing stone, shining bright as the sky did when you finally accepted your fate.

She's already expecting various questions from your teammates and she doesn't know how to answer them.

Your phone, your phone is still playing music even though the water probably went inside your phone.

Singin', "This'll be the day that I die—"

She's just staring at the white wall still trying to process what just happened and all she could remember is you whispering that one line of the song in her ear.

"This'll be the day that I die".