Chapter Two: Why Would I Lie?

⚔

     Amanza wasn't really surprised Nathan didn't believe her.  It was a pretty far out there idea anyways.

     "Where is all of this coming from?"

     "Fine, don't believe me, but why would I lie?"  She did have to admit that a part of herself was relieved that he didn't believe her, or anything she had just said.  Even if she looked pretty crazy now for putting it out there.  Still, she shrugged.  "I told you, he's been planning this forever."

     "Are you drunk?"

     "I wish I was."

     He rolled his eyes, averting his gaze from her entrancing ways.  "Look, this is really entertaining and all, but I just really want to get out of here and go home.  It's been a long night."

     "Understandable," Amanza rose from her seat.

     "What are you doing?" Nathan asked, confused.

     "Leaving," Amanza pointed towards the sidewalk.  "So you can grab a beer, lock up and steal someone's watch on your way home."

     Nathan furrowed his eyebrows together.  "I don't—"

     "Save it for someone who actually believes you," she cut him off, bumping into his shoulder as she walked past him.  Nathan paused for a moment, rethinking the last ten minutes of his life, watching as the tanned woman made her way down the sidewalk and around the corner — out of his life again.

     Or so he thought.

     "That was weird," he thought to himself before going inside.  He was interrupted in his cleaning again by a man sitting by himself at the bar, wearing a black tux.

     "That trust fund ingenue... She was the right mark."

     "Don't know what you're talking about," Nathan said, confused about how two people had already caught onto his quick steal of the night.  But he wasn't going to give that away.

     "Sure, you do," Sully nodded.  "You're going slow, playing it safe, not lifting too much at once.  I mean, stop me if I'm wrong."

     "Well, you're wrong," Nathan deadpanned.  "And we're also closed, so take off."

     "Victor Sullivan.  You can call me Sully."

     "Thank you.  I won't, but thank you."

     "I got a job coming up... a big one."

     Nathan sighed, slowing his movements.  "Oh... she said you'd say that."

     Sully smiled, almost kindly as if thinking of the girl fondly.  Neither had to disagree about who they were talking about — Amanza was hard to miss, even if she did blend in well.  "She's not a liar, I need another set of hands on it."