Chapter Four: Dirty Diana

⚔

     "Hey.  These people can tell a fake when they see one, all right?  You have to believe the lie you're selling.  You belong here.  You're one of them.  Or you can just go with the Bubblicious.  Jesus," Sully was speaking to Nate from the backseat of their ordered car as they went over their game plan, sitting side by side.

     "No, this is Bubble Yum," Nate argued as if he was a child.

     "It's the same thing," Sully passed Nate a small earpiece with a wire.  "Here, put that in your ear."

     "No way," Nate eagerly took the earpiece from him and went to work jamming it in his ear.  "Hello?  Hello?"

     "I can hear you," Sully deadpanned.  "I'm sitting right next to you."

     "Oh, shit, I think I pushed it in too far," Nate winced, turning to Sully to try to get him to look at it for himself.  "Is it okay?"

     Sully sighed, there was so much going on in his mind and here he was, having to babysit.  "No funny business with your little girlfriend either, okay?  We're here for one thing and one thing only."

     "Who, Amanza?" Nate furrowed his eyebrows.  "It's not like that.  We broke up over a year ago."

     "Wow, only a year?" Sully asked sarcastically without a hint of interest in his tone.  Truth be told, he already knew everything there was to know about Nate and Amanza both as individuals and as a couple.  He'd made it his job to know.  "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you are just as infatuated with her now as you were then.  I mean, they say you shouldn't work with your ex for a reason, I should know."

     "That's just it, old man, you don't know," Nate quipped, still chewing on his bubblegum aggressively.  

     He suddenly became agitated as he realized something he hadn't yet let sink in — he was going to have to work with Amanza, a woman he once loved and adored more than life itself, to get the money.  It was funny, how unexpected it all was.  This treasure had been the highlight of his childhood, something so unattainable, and yet he still wanted it ever so badly.  As for his ex-girlfriend, he wasn't sure if he could say the same.

     It was strange to say he once imagined a life with her when he had never really thought himself deserving of domesticity, to begin with.  Sure, they were young and practically still kids when they fell for each other, but he thought they'd settle down in a house by the beach, rocking their kids to sleep with the sounds of the quiet ocean nearby.

     The Drakes were always big dreamers.

     "Hey, relax," Sully turned to face the now slightly distraught man sitting shoulder to shoulder with him.  Even though he knew Nate wanted so badly to be seen as a mature and somewhat smart guy in this area, Sully knew that he was young still and viewed him as a kid.  He honestly didn't know what to make out of Nate and Amanza, but he was pretty impressed so far that the two kept the fighting to a minimum.  He just hoped they kept it that way going further.  Besides the searching seas part of the plan, tonight would be the hardest part, and he needed his two right men to be at their sharpest for it.  "Let's go."