Chapter Three: Fifty-Fifty

⚔

     Nate thought about the options laid out in front of him for a long time.  It seemed like the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get the treasure was gnawing at him, but he wasn't sure if he could handle being stuck with his ex for so long.

     As he ran his fingers over the postcards in his hands delicately as he pictured his brother's voice reading the words out loud to him.  Wish you were here, bro.  There's a whole world you haven't seen, but you will.  I promise.

     Amanza wouldn't say she was startled by Sully's phone ringing, but it was also unexpected.  Her stomach sank as she saw Sully's smile twitch.  "Hey, kid.  What took you so long?"

     Sully hadn't known Amanza for long, but he prided himself on having picked up such a chameleon of a woman.  Finding her was just a bonus, as she was inseparable from Sam, who was the person Sully was truly after at the time.  The girl was beautiful, and elegant and moved like a monstrous wave in the vast ocean.  And in that ocean, she possessed the power to become anybody she wanted.  Therefore, the term chameleon in this sense is literal.  Amanza could disguise herself pretty well, blending into any crowd.

     She met them on the sidewalk outside the building where the auction for the second cross would be held; she knew the story too well just from Sully talking about it.  She quickly brushed through her bedhead, so her hair was voluminous from the curls she had the day before.  She figured the more casually she dressed, the better, so she slipped on some cream-colored fuzzy joggers with a matching cropped tank top as well as some worn-down sneakers.  Her brown eyes were covered with dull but large sunglasses, a hot cup of coffee in a paper cup as she walked slightly behind the boys.

     "There's an auction coming up," Sully explained to Nate.  "Biggest collection of Spanish Renaissance art and artifacts anywhere this century.  One of those items is La Cruz de la Hermandad.  Only it's not a cross.  It's a key... a key that unlocks the chamber where the Infamous 18 hid their gold."

     "Very cool, but the legend said there are two keys, one for the captain and one for the crew, so no one man could steal the gold by himself," Nate countered.  "One key doesn't do us any good."

     "You ever get outside when you were a kid?  I mean, how do you remember all this shit?" Sully asked.

     Before Nate could answer, Amanza interrupted them.  "Duh, he stores it all in his ginormous head!"

     Sully chuckled.  "Only one thing: I already have the captain's key.  Second one's in there.  The Augustine...it's an auction house.  It's very exclusive, but I got us on the list.  Look, all I need you to do is kill the power during the auction.  That'll trigger the main alarm, and then I can do my thing."

     "Okay.  And how am I supposed to kill the power?"

     "Well, shit, that's up to you.  I mean, you got to bring something to the equation.  I'm not cutting you in for fun," Sully said as they slowed to a stop on the corner.  Amanza also slowed down and took a sip from her mocha, pretending she was waiting for the light to turn green or something, but mostly keeping her eyes peeled.  Someone had to play lookout, especially with Dumb and Dumber as her partners.