[10] A Little Too Late (Sho & Ren)

Sho Castel love him

Sho Castel love him.

It might not be love at first sight but he love Ren Ravela ever since their highschool.

He doesn't know how it started, or why had he developed such feelings towards his friend. He only knows one thing, he wants a future with Ren by his side everyday.

But Sho, despite his straightforward personality, he's a coward. He's afraid. And he's one big of a liar.

That being said, when King, one of his friends asked him about what he feels for his newfound friend, Sho answered, "Nothing!" confidently. In fear that his feelings might just drove the other away.

He laughed it off like one of their usual jokes. Adding the words, "He's not my type." Not knowing that Ren was listening to their conversation the whole time.

He's a coward.

And his highschool years ended with him still stuck on being friends with the man he loves.

He graduated. Leaving the other behind. He became a successful man in no time. He was still friends with him. And he's been building up the courage to ask the other out over the past few years.

But, just as Sho was getting close to finally professing the feelings he harboured for the last few years, Ren dropped a bomb that wipe off all the confidence and courage he had build so far.

"I'm getting married," he says, smiling as he shows him his hand, flexing a silver ring adoring his finger.

Sho could only stared at him. His smile disappeared as his broad shoulders slump. Ren's words left him speechless, left his world frozen.

And the words that left his mouth was something his mind did not permitted to.

"I love you."

The way those three words stumble out his mouth sounds rush, desperate so far. His throat feels hoarse by saying just three words.

Scarlet eyes flickers to met chocolate orbs, only to see Ren shedding a tear with a weak smile plastered on his lips.

"I love you, Ren." Sho repeated, reaching a hand to hold the other. "I love you."

"I loved you, Sho."

Loved. Past tense.

It happened. He loves him. But it was then.

Sho knows. Loved. Means not anymore.

Loved. Means Ren had moved on.

"Ren. . ."

"I'm happy to hear that, Sho. I'm really happy. Because I always dreamed of hearing those words from you. You saying those words to me."

"Then-"

"If only you've told me those words a little sooner. If only you've said that from all those times we were together. If only. . ."

"Ren. . . I. . . I. . ." Sho fumbled on searching for the right words to say. Hands doesn't know where to hold, he's trembling. Anxious even.

"I'm sorry, Sho," Ren whispered, pulling his hand from the others grasp and wiping his tears away. "But, you're a little too late."

Sho's eyes began to water, his hands began to shake and his lips trembles. He doesn't know what to say nor what to do. He felt lost.

He didn't say anything, he just stared at the man infront of him. With swollen eyes and crystallized tears, Ren smiled softly; the smile that Sho loved so much. The smile that he wanted to see every morning when he opens his eyes. Ren's bright and beautiful smile.

"Ren-"

"Ren, let's go." A voice cuts his words, and they both turned to met a man stepping out the store.

"Ah, Kei," Ren addresses him, voice full of adoration and affection.

Kei Vasquez - Ren's best friend from highschool, approached them. Standing beside him, snaking an arm around his waist, kissing his temple which made the smaller laugh lightly.

"Castel," Vasquez addressed him, smiling. "How's my cousin doing? He's not giving everyone a headache, does he?"

"N-no. . . Chase' behaving well. . ." He answered, shaking his head but eyes not leaving Vasquez' hand on Ren's waist.

"That's good to hear. Feel free to kick him if he give you guys any trouble," Vasquez' jested to which Sho answered with a forced smile and a hollow laugh.

"Y-yeah. . ."

"Are you guys done talking?"

Ren turned to him, eyes meaningful as though asking him a question.

Sho, despite not wanting to end everything there and wanting to talk to him, shook his head. Sighing and smiling bitterly to the ground. Hands curled into a ball as he nodded, forcefully.

"Y-yeah. . . We're done. . ."

The two bid their goodbye right away, waving at him and telling him to come at their wedding if he have time. To which Sho answered with a 'yes' absentmindedly.

"Ah, Sho," Ren called right before they can walk away, and Sho forced a smile as he waited for his words. "Thank you."

He watched them walk away, hands intertwined and smiling lovingly at each other. He watch them slips through the busy crowd of the street and then disappearing from his sight.

He sighed, combing his hair with his trembling hands. Shutting his eyes to stop his tears from cascading down his cheeks.

His phone then rang; his friend calling. And he answered the call without a second thought.

"How was it?" King asked from the other line, voice laced with excitement.

Sho could only laugh, forced and hollow as he answered with trembling and broken voice.

"I missed it, King. . . I was late. . . Too late. . ."