My Precious Little Boy

(10 years ago)

"Jarian, where are you?" I called out

Ugh, he loves to play hide and seek in the biggest area of the castle. The area in the east wing of the castle has a lot of hallways and turns. The hallways are floored with a rich tropical water blue silk carpet that leads you. 

In this wing, there are multiple rooms, whether that be storage rooms or the servant's rooms. Then it clicked to me, the library! He must be in the Library that's the biggest room in the east wing and there are a great number of spots that could act as hiding spaces. 

I walked to the Library, the doors went up to the ceiling, They were dark Oak wood with shiny Crazen gold handles. The ends faced away from each other, I opened both doors and they squeaked as if in agony.

I know Jarian heard the doors, he's gonna be hiding. The Library is huge with 15 rows of shelves with a height of 4 meters and made out of fine Walden tree wood. The shelves stocked with thousands of books about history or entertainment. 

I walked down the middle aisle heading to the back. I knew he was going to be in the back where the librarian lives. The librarian is out right now and won't be back till tomorrow. I open the door to the back, inside it was dark and gloomy and had only two candles to light it up. The first thing you see is a bright wooden dresser against the wall. To the left is the Librarian's personal collection of books and a wide shelf then to the right is the bed. It's on the ground with white pillows and a neutral gray blanket. 

To the left of the bed is a Closet, I know he's in there. I walked past it like I didn't know he was there and then I suddenly opened the door.

I scream out "BOO!"

His face lit up with terror

"Mom." He said in a voice of annoyance

In his cute little voice, I couldn't tell if he is annoyed that I found him or that I scared him.

"I'm sorry baby but you know that you have studies."

"I don't want to mom." He said with a little hostility in his voice

I grab him out of the closet and we sit on the bed. I start rubbing his head and playing with his hair

"What's wrong baby? I thought you loved school?"

He faced dropped and leans in and holds me tight. It was silent for a few moments.

"He's been gone so long, I'm scared that he has changed."

"Who has changed? Who are you talking about?"

"Dad," He said in a dead voice, "He used to tell me a story about a man who was the nicest in the world. He was forced into the army during wartime. When the war was over he wasn't the nicest man in the world anymore, he wasn't even a man anymore. He was a savage animal thirsting for blood, everyone called him the Ravager. Please don't get mad at dad for telling me the story, I asked him to."

Havi knows that I don't want my son to be hearing that type of story. Whatever that's not what's important right now.

I kissed his forehead and lifted his face to look at me. "Your father will never change who he is no matter what. He is a strong man who always keeps his morals about him. Your father isn't a ravager, he's the Harbinger of Strength. And you, my beautiful boy, will always be my Golden Rod that always shines bright."

We both smiled at each and shared an embrace. I will do anything to protect, shield, and preserve him. I won't let Havi turn my boy into another version of him if it's the last thing I do.