Prologue

This year, there will be no distractions. This year, there will be no boys.

Clarke Griffin takes a sip of her overly processed orange juice. The Ark hasn't grown real oranges in decades, and yet... Clarke surveys her glass. The aftertaste is more chalky than tarty. She glances back up at her friend as he continues discussing their upcoming school year with an energy she finds tiring.

For the final two years of their studies, they will be attending the Senior Seminars – those reserved for students from all over the Ark who have completed the mandatory coursework and have demonstrated excellence in one or more subject. This means that they will be studying with students from the various stations – people they've never met before. These students will then go on to apprentice within their chosen fields and enjoy the more prestigious of careers: those requiring higher education.

Wells Jaha gestures to her glass of juice with raised eyebrows. "Clarke?"

She blinks at him, realizing she's been elsewhere entirely for the last five minutes of their conversation. "Sorry," she says. "Come again?"

"You going to finish that juice?"

Clarke slides the glass across the aluminum table toward Wells and he smiles at her sheepishly. "Thanks," he mutters.

Clarke resettles into her thoughts. Last yearhad been a mess. But most of her friends, her boyfriend – ex-boyfriend,she reminds herself – have been sent into the workforce after not having madethe cut-off for the Senior Seminars. So, this year will be different. Thisyear, there will be no distractions. This year, there will be no boys.

***

A/N: A little prologue to set the mood. The action starts in the next chapter! Hope you enjoy!