Chapter 10

"What are you doing here?" I whispered and closed the door slightly behind me. Never in a million years did I expect to see him standing outside our apartment door.

Jax grabbed the back of his neck with his hand and breathed out. "Hey, um, I just wanted to come and apologize to you about everything that happened, what I said..." he trailed off and looked down at the floor and then back up at me.

I was completely thrown off guard. "How'd you even get in here?" The apartment was secured and you could only get in with a key.

He shrugged. "I waited until someone left."

"And how'd you find our room?"

"I asked Addie. It took me a while to get her to remember what floor you lived on. I knocked on a few wrong doors first before I got the right one," he said, looking a little embarrassed.

"Okay..." I trailed off, not sure what to say.

"Look, I'm really sorry Olivia," he said.

"It's fine, okay? It doesn't -" I was cut off by my grandfather calling out.

"Who's at the door?"

"Just a friend," I called back, lying. Jax was not a friend.

Jax looked over my shoulder and then back at me. "I didn't mean to intrude. I just really wanted to talk to you and apologize."

"Apology accepted," I said back quickly. He frowned, seeing past my lie.

Just as I was about to close the door in his face, my grandfather came up behind me.

"Hi there young man," he said.

Jax straightened up and flipped off his hood from his head. It was the first time I'd seen him without a hat on. His dark hair flowed back, and I hated how good it looked on him. "Hi, sir," he said and shook my grandfather's hand. 

My gramps looked at me and then back to Jax. "Are you coming in?"

"Oh, no," I shook my head. "He was just leaving."

"Are you sure?" my grandfather asked. "Liv just made hot chocolate. There's extra."

"Who is it?" my grams yelled from the living room.

"A friend of Liv's," gramps said back.

"Well tell them to come in. There's hot chocolate," she called back. Oh my gosh.

"Well?" my grandfather asked and opened the door wider.

Jax just bit his lip and looked at me. I shrugged my shoulders and stepped to the side and sighed as Jax walked in. This was easier than trying to explain everything to my grandparents.

Jax followed me and my grandfather into the living room.

"Gram, gramps, this is Jax," I turned and looked at Jax. "Jax, these are my grandparents."

"Nice to meet you," he nodded to them both.

"His sister is Addie," I said.

"Oh," my grams said and smiled. "Addie is such a sweet girl."

Jax smiled. "She is."

"We were just about to look through some old photo albums if you want to join," gram said. "I'm sure there's lots of cute pictures of Liv when she was younger."

"I'd love to," Jax said politely and I gave him a forced smile.

"I'll get you some hot chocolate," I said and walked quickly away to the kitchen. I couldn't believe Jax was here. I walked to the kitchen and poured another cup of hot chocolate for Jax. When I walked back into the living room, he was chatting with my grandparents.