Chapter 4

POV ALEX

Dina and I push through the crowd, back to our table. I see Mr. Guerrero, Mrs. Guerrero, and Diego talking with another group of people.

"We have nothing to discuss Mateo." Diego says hands in his pocket. "You should've stayed in Rome."

"What's going on here?" I ask placing my glass on the table.

"This doesn't concern you, Andria." Diego says to me. Again, with that nickname. I'm making that a fucking rule.

"Who's this?" The guy in front of Diego asks.

So, this is Mateo? He has a brown faded; buzz cut with hazel eyes like Mr. Guerrero. There's a tattoo on the side of his neck that looks to continue down to his arm. Seems to be covering a scar.

"You can leave whenever." Diego tells him.

"Hold on, let the woman speak." Mateo says getting closer to me. "Name beautiful?" He asks me.

"Back up Mateo." Diego says pushing him back. The guys behind him stand their guard. Diego takes notice. "Last thing we need is a scene now." Diego says trying to ease the tension.

Mateo looks around the room to see a couple of eyes are on us. But it's certain eyes. Are these people part of the mafia?

"Fine, fine." Mateo steps back. "Just keep your hands off what's mine." He warns before leaving the room.

"Who the hell was he?" I ask Diego.

There is a silence from the family.

"He's- our brother." Dina says. Everybody puts their head down.

Brother? There weren't any records of another son, or a Mateo associated with the Guerrero family. How did we miss this?

"Ok... what does he want?" I ask.

"To fuck up our lives." Diego answers.

"To control the Guerrero Mafia." Dina corrects him. He was supposed too anyway-"

"Dina." Mrs. Guerrero stops her, giving her a stern look.

"It's more of a "family" thing. Sorry Alex." Mrs. Guerrero says giving me a small smile. Didn't she literally tell me earlier, "Welcome to the family"? Bullshit.

"Just leave it alone. We came here for something, so let's just get it and leave." Diego says making his way to the auction area. I didn't even realize they already set up.

We all follow as I search the room for Xavier. I did just leave him, but I'm on duty. So, I also search for Mateo. Clearly, he's a threat to the family if what Dina says is true.

We take our seats and prepare for the auction. I'm able to spot Xavier towards the front. He's talking to somebody. Too many heads in the way for me to see though.

"Looking for someone?" Dina asks me.

"Yea, the friend I was talking to earlier. His art is being displayed here tonight."

"So, he's the one you had plans with?"

"Mhm."

"Why does that name sound familiar?" I hear her mumble to herself. Again, she's a loud mumbler.

Before I can ask, the auction starts, and we get to placing bets.

*40 minutes Later*

The whole time being here, Mr. Guerrero nor Diego have placed bets on anything. Dina told me he's waiting for 'Jupiter'. Whatever that means.

"Ok, next up, we have The Forbidden War. Also known as Jupiter." The bid caller announces. But why is it called that? It has nothing to do with Jupiter. But the war part is true.

It's a gruesome battlefield with swords pointed in all sorts of directions with people dead or bleeding out. Who wants that hanging in their house?

"Bidding will start at $150k." He says starting the bidding.

Mr. Guerrero raises his number card. "$200k." That was fast.

"$200k. Do I hear 210k?"

"$300k." I hear someone say. It's Mateo. Is this the thing he was talking about?

"$350k." Mr. Guerrero says.

"$400k."

"$450k."

"$500k."

"$550k."

They kept going back and forth, not giving the bid caller time to react. I could see the worry settle in Dina and Mrs. Guerrero's face as Diego sat there with a happy glimmer in his eyes.

"$1 million!" Mateo calls out.

"Amor, por favor (Love, please)." Mrs. Guerrero says to Mr. Guerrero. He ignores her, raising his number once more.

"$2 million!" He calls out.

"$2 million going once. Twice. BAM! Sold to number 27." The bid caller announces. Why didn't Mateo keep going though?

Almost an hour later, the bidding has finished as everyone gets prepared for the art show. Xavier's work will be showing soon.

"We're leaving." Diego whispers to me.

"Why?" I ask.

"We got what we came here for, so we're going."

"Go then. I'm staying." I shoo him away.

"You're my bodyguard. You do as I say."

"So, you need me around now?"

I feel him grip onto the back of my neck and get closer to my ear.

"Fucking move your ass, Alex." He says into my ear. "I'm not telling you again." So, we're back to Alex? Make up your fucking mind.

"Is that a threat?" I say with a grin. He doesn't fucking scare me.

His grip loosens as he runs his finger against the back of my neck, over my tattoo. I feel a tingle in the back of my head. I tense up from it.

"That's a promise." I feel him move back from me. I don't feel him behind me at all anymore. Did he really leave?

The show starts before I can really do anything. So I get comfortable for another hour of sitting, not paying any mind to Diego. I then feel another presence behind me.

"They left you?" I recognize that voice. It's Mateo again.

"I chose to stay." He pulls up a chair beside me.

"Doing your part as bodyguard as I see." So, he knows my role in all this. How?

"What do you want?" I ask already annoyed.

"I have an offer for you with the pay triple the amount their offering. Interested?" I turn to him and see a sly grin on his face.

"Talk."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do we have a traitor in this so called "family"?

Promise you much more is bound to come including the steamy stuff *wink wink

1023 Words

-SophisticatedSaint