Chapter 5

POV ALEX

"What do you know about them?" Mateo asks in a whisper.

"Enough." I respond.

"So, you know me and what I want. Great. I'll bargain for it." He says.

Yea, I know who he is to them, but not to other people. Yea, I know what he wants, but I don't know why. But I'll play along for more useful information.

"For a painting?" I ask. A smug grin forms on his face.

"You know enough, huh?" He does a small, breathy laugh. "I can see right through it." He crosses his arms. "That painting leads to millions."

"It was worth less than a quarter-thousand."

"I said "leads to millions". Not worth." He leans in closer to me.

"You question why it's called 'Jupiter'? It's corny, but the amount of cash is called Jupiter. Not the painting itself. They started to call the painting Jupiter to throw people off." He side eyes me. I ought to smack him.

"Then what's the painting for? Helps lead to the 'treasure' or something?" I mock.

"So, you are smart. That'll be a pain in the future." He gives me a smile like Mr. Guerrero does. That's definitely his son.

"Alex." I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn back and see Xavier.

"Can I talk to you?" He plasters a fake smile on his face, motioning for me to follow him. I wasn't done talking to Mateo and I doubt he'll be here when I come back. I hesitantly stand up to follow.

"Will I see you again?" Mateo asks standing as well.

I shrug. "Depends."

"On?"

"If it's worth my while."

"Why of course. You deserve nothing less." He grabs my hand and places a gentle kiss on it. "Goodbye Ms. Taylor." He says before Xavier grabs onto my arm, pulling me away. So, he knows my last name. Xavier leads me into a corner away from the crowd.

"What are you doing?" He asks in a panicked whisper.

"I should be asking you that. I'll miss the show."

"This isn't funny Alex. You shouldn't be talking to him." I furrow my eyebrows.

"You know him? How?" I cross my arms.

"It's- complicated. But that doesn't-"

"Bullshit." I cut him off.

"Can you-"

"Bullshit." I say again.

"Alex-"

"Bull. Shit."

He lets out an annoyed sigh. He cups the back of his head and paces for a second.

"I- I helped him with the painting." He leans up against the wall.

"What?" I ask confused.

"I helped him find the painting by telling him it was here and where it was going to be held."

"Wha- how- when did this happen?"

"Back when my work got accepted here. He contacted me with an offer and I took it." He hangs his head low. "I- I was gonna lose everything Alex. I-" He cuts off and gently hits his head against the wall.  I walk over to him and give a reassuring pat on his shoulder.

"I understand. You did what you had to do."

"I didn't know you would get involved in this though. And he's just- crazy about that painting."