Chapter One

AALIYAH KALI
____________________________

| one year later |

You never truly understand the meaning of struggle until you're thrown into the deep end, unable to swim. It's in those moments, when you're fighting to stay alive, that you make decisions that completely change the path of your existence. Said decisions can take you from an all time high to the lowest of lows, in a matter of minutes.

My life has been planned out for me since the moment I was born. Details about who I was to marry and where I'd live were decided way before I even had the chance to speak. And I didn't mind that. Everything was fine, amazing even. Until it wasn't.

I stared down at Theo as her little breaths flew across my skin. Her tiny fingers were wrapped tightly around one of mine as she drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

"Let me put her to bed, honey." I kept my eyes locked on her small body as Lottie carried her to the crib. I turned around, feeling tears threaten my eyes. I hated leaving her. It hurt my heart more than I could describe.

I crept out the room and down the stairs, turning the corner towards the front door. I wrapped my coat around my body, trying to preserve all my body heat before exiting the house.

"You don't have to take me, Liv." I said, opening the car door and sliding into the passenger seat. "I can drive."

She sighed, "I know, but I need to make sure you get there and back safely." She shifted the car into gear before moving us off her driveway. I stared out the window, watching the city lights grow closer and closer, the way they glitter under the moon light left me speechless every time.

"You know," I turned in my seat so I was facing Livia, "I would feel better about you driving me if you actually came in and enjoyed the club instead of wandering the city until my shifts are done." Her jaw clenched and her eyes stayed closed when she blinked for a fraction longer than normal.

"You couldn't pay me enough money to go in there, A." She said finally, a hint of disdain coursing through her words.

"He might not be there." My suggestion was so far-fetched it could be classed as a blatant lie.

"He lives in the building, and he's at the club everyday. You know that." She indicated right before turning into the staff parking garage. "I just want you to have fun and forget about him."

I swung open my door, sliding out my legs until my shoes touched the ground. "It's hard to forget someone who causes hatred to run through your veins." Her tone was light but I knew her words held nothing but truth.

"I'll see you later. I love you."

She smiled up at me, "I miss you already,'' she shouted after I shut the door, causing a bright smile to spread across my face.

...

The wings were dark. It made it nearly impossible to see, but I knew this place like the back of my hand. It was ingrained in my mind through muscle memory; nothing could make me forget it. My heart beat loudly in my chest and my breathing started to grow heavy. The adrenaline was already coursing through my veins at the thought of dancing.

I inhaled a deep breath, waiting for the music to start. I could hear a low rumble of chatter coming from the guest. As the first note played, dark lights flashed all around me. I let my mind forget there was an audience and allowed the music consume me.

Dancing on a pole may not be the same as the years of classical ballet training I endured, but it's dancing nonetheless. When I dance I feel free. I forget my worries. I forget my sins. Everything seems to fall into place in an instant.