8. The man behind the curtain

Pulling one final drag from her last cigarette, the strange woman cast aside the useless butt with a precise flick. She watched the orange filter swirl through the air before tumbling into the busy street bellow. Just as disposable as that blind old bag, she thought with a cruel smile, but the strange woman soon had the hardest time deciding which gave her more satisfaction. Cigarettes or murder? She shrugged as she realized that she didn't have to compare, as she would never stop chasing the rush they both gave her.

The shadows had always provided comfort, and she knew that she was shrouded perfectly. Her toned form was perched like a bird on the stone balustrade of the hotel balcony. A chill in the air caused the strange woman to hug her white cloak tightly around her matching uniform. She was grateful for the heat her hood provided as she double checked the time on her phone. Any minute now.

A sudden creak from the balcony door made her shrink more into the shadows, but the rhythmic snapping of brittle fingers signaled safety. It was her leader.

"Nine bows to the ten directions" She cooed, slinking towards him. As she approached the open door, she respectfully kept her distance to the dark silhouette of her mentor. His form was barely visible, only distinguishable from the reflection of the surrounding city lights on his wheelchair.

His graveled, wisened voice pierced the night and the strange woman shuddered once more. This time with delight.

"Nine bows to the ten directions, my dove. I trust you come bearing good news?"

"What else would I bear, gorg?" The strange woman's smile was barely visible beneath her heavy hood as she bowed deeply, "Everything is falling into place as anticipated. The granny practically handed over the manuscript to me, and with this leverage we'll have our French friend joining us here in gay old San Francisco posthaste."

"Exceptional, as always...." the silhouette coughed into his hand. "But remember. Never sing the song of victory before the new egg has hatched, my dove. We have no time for impotent missions. Not when the fate of the Doves, and your legacy, depends on this!"

The strange woman knew he was right, and though she loved the freedom of her impulsiveness, his guidance had never led away from success. He had groomed her from a young age into a seamless machine, and now with his encouragement, she would have a position of real power. In a matter of time, the Doves would be bowing down to her.

"Forgive my arrogance, sir." She bowed to him once more.

"I expect a full update upon your return with Pechaude." Her mentor reached for the door, "I believe in you, dear White Wing. And remember, keep your flight path focused. Do so, and I promise you will nest comfortably in the CEO seat of Dimensions with the respect of the entire organization!"