Chapter 1

Washington, DC
Academy of Espionage
May 13th
1200 Hours

This is a first...
I was in my room solving an old sudoku when a security guard pulled me aside and took me to the principal's office.
He pushed me inside and shut the door.
"What's the deal? Usually Erica tells me about these things..." I asked.
"That's because Erica isn't involved in this case."
The principal slid me a file from under his desk.
I opened it, immediately rifling through its contents.
"Operation Migrating Monarch?"
I read up on the information given.
"Let me give you the rundown."
I slightly jumped at the new voice from behind me.
It was an agent I've never seen before.
"Excuse my intrusion, I'm Agent Keys." He laughed and put his hand out.
After a quick glance, I took his hand graciously.
"It's nice to finally put a face to the name, Benjamin Ripley!" He flashed a smile.
His enthusiasm was infectious, I soon found myself smiling along with him.
"Now, as I was saying, I'll give you the rundown of this operation." He cleared his throat.
"You see, there's an obscure, but very influential kingdom not far from here. We think that the heir to the throne is planning to join up with Murray Hill and who knows who else..." Agent Keys sighed.
"So, how will I play into this exactly? On my own, there's not much I can do besides try to predict what Murray's gonna do..." I shrugged.
"Oh, I'm not finished! What we need you to do is far more important!" Agent Keys said.
"We need you to impersonate the prince..."
After hearing those words, I couldn't help but stare with my mouth agape at Agent Keys.
"Now, let me explain! Don't worry, it's a lot easier than it sounds!" He tried to reassure me.
"Does this handsome devil look familiar?" He passed me a photo of the heir.
He looked exactly like me!
From the unkempt red hair, the freckles dotting his face, to the way he smiled!
I was starting to think that this may not be so hard after all...
"Now, with the looks taken care of, lets work on behavior!"
"First and foremost, he is royalty! So, you need to act like it in order to not arouse suspicion! I will help you with this after we get to the hotel room!" Agent Keys clapped his hands together excitedly.
"We'd better get going if we don't want anyone finding out about this! So go ahead to your room and bring a backpack with a few sets of spare clothes and anything else you might need!" Agent Keys hurriedly rushed me out the door.
Sensing the urgency, I speed walked to my room and grabbed a nearby backpack.
I stuffed in a few sets of clothes and some other supplies.
"Wait... Shouldn't Erica know about this by now?"
Then I realized something.
I rushed back to the office.
"Why is no one here?" I worriedly asked.
"We took them outside for a match of paintball." Agent Keys explained.
"This operation is very delicate. We cannot afford any distractions." He said decisively.
"Come along, it's time for us to go."
I gulped.
Maybe this wouldn't be as easy as I thought...
Agent Keys ushered me onto the plane and, just like that, we were off.
I sat down and looked out the window, my stomach starting to twist itself into nervous knots.
I don't know if I can do this...
Sure, I've thwarted SPYDER and the Croatoan before, but I had Erica and Mike to back me up...
I was all alone now.
"Listen, Benjamin, I know you're nervous..." Agent Keys sat next to me.
"But I promise you, this mission will not require any physical combat... The only thing that is being asked of you is that you prevent this kingdom from supporting Murray Hill and stall long enough for reinforcements. Alright?" Agent Keys put a hand on my shoulder.
Seemingly having no other choice, I nodded.
"Just be confident. That's the key for undercover work!" He pat my back encouragingly and left the seat.
Even after that, somewhat comforting, news, I was still worried.
I just hope I don't mess this up...