Rose and Dimitri: Wishing for a Shower!

“Young dhampir,” crooned Adrian. I must have fallen asleep. “Where are you going?”

“To get Dimitri,” I replied. We talked more and somehow I ended up promising to date Adrian when I got back from my ‘crazy’ trip, as he liked to call it.  He funded my trip in return. So I went to Siberia, met Dimitri’s family. Later I went to find Dimitri. He treated me like a blood whore, but I loved him no matter what. I think I might have fallen for him even more in those times. However, I couldn’t kill him. I ended up back at school and dating Adrian. I was smart enough to know he only wanted me for one thing, but I promised him.

He treated me well, but I wasn’t sold on him. I wanted Dimitri. I could only love Dimitri. So after graduations, I made another plan to get Dimitri back, the real Dimitri. There was a story about a Spirit user saving Strigoi. Lissa was going along with me, but I think it’s because she felt she didn’t have a choice.

My mind switched to a more recent memory. Dimitri told me his feeling changed and he didn’t love me anymore. I almost slept with Adrian, but instead I let him bite me. I didn’t enjoy it. I’d happily let Dimitri bite me and I knew I’d enjoy it because I loved him and we’d been physically involved, but not Adrian. I couldn’t get into him like that.

I was sitting in a jail cell staring at the wall, remember everything. Oh, yeah, I’m in jail because people think I killed the queen. I mean I hated her, but I wouldn’t kill her. Dimitri pretty much hated me or well, that’s how it ended last we talked. I loved him though. More than anything. I just wanted the old Dimitri back.

“You have a visitor.” The one guardian watching me spoke. I didn’t turn to look to see who it was. It was most likely Reece again, trying to get a motive from me of why I killed the queen, which I didn’t.

“Rose,” his voice was shaky. I knew it immediately.  Dimitri. My heart stopped beating and then I felt the pain. The anguish of his words. He moved on. He didn’t love me. He didn’t want me. “Rose,” he tried again. I heard his exasperated sigh. “Can I please go in and see her?” He begged the guards. I heard the keys jingle and the door open.  His boots clunked on the floor. “Rose, will you talk with me?” His voice was pleading.

I could imagine his eyes being melted chocolate brown and swimming with hope and pain of the thought of us talking. I wanted to see his eyes. I wanted to see his face. I wanted to be in his arms, having him tell me everything was going to be alright, but somehow I knew this wasn’t that kind of visit. I turned to him anyways and had the breath knocked out of me. He was dressed in his usual pants, black shirt, and duster. His hair was brushed and tucked behind his ears. He looked like my Dimitri. The man that I loved.

He looked to be taking me in as well. I was in a ripped dress and my hair was down in a million knots. I had dirt on my face and I’m sure my eyes were blood shot from the nonstop tears that poured out because of Dimitri. I watched him take a shaky breath and heard it come out slowly. His feet shuffled a little and he moved closer. “Want to sit?” I asked and pointed to my untouched bed. I sat on the cement floor. He stood in front of me and sat down abruptly, ignoring the bed. The bed. A bed. The bed we gave ourselves in. My brain zoomed back to the cabin. No, I told myself. That’s the past. It isn’t the same. He doesn’t love you.

“Rose,”

“What do you want to talk about?” I asked him, making my voice hard.

“About what happened. I have to talk about it. I thought that I could just forget it, but I can’t. I have to talk to you about it.” His voice was passionate. “What I did to you. Biting you and taking your blood. It was like torturing you. I was torturing you.”

“I know.”

“But you let me! How could you let me? How could you let me and still be in love with me after all of that? I tried killing you! I threatened you and yet you still loved me.” Dimitri spoke smoothly.