Chapter Twelve

Blood and Bone

"Safer to travel as a boy?" Keilith guessed.

"You can't tell anyone!" Erys demanded. She began buttoning her shirt. "Not even...not even my companion," she said. She was wary of giving Eirdain's name away; were they to be caught, she could not guarantee Keilith's loyalties.

"He'll find out eventually. Likely sooner than later."

"If you try to say anything to him I'll slit your throat," Erys warned.

Normally, she wouldn't put stock in threats; she was weaker than most she'd faced, but with Keilith injured, she was unsure who might be the victor, and he was so timid it might work regardless of the weight behind it.

"I won't say anything."

"Good," Erys whispered.

"That doesn't mean he won't find out."

"He won't." Erys winced as simultaneously, her injuries felt as if they were being reopened with a dull blade.

"I should probably still take a look at that."

"It's nothing," Erys assured. "Not compared to what I've already faced."

"How bad is it? Your back?"

"A few scratches. Nothing I can't bear."

"Your injuries seem deeper than you think."

"No. I'm just tired. That spell took more energy than I thought."

"How'd you manage it?"

She debated on how much to tell him, but realising it was no longer of use, Erys held up the necklace. Even if it ended up stolen she no longer depended on it.

"What is it?"

"A gift."

"From?"

"Well, I can't call them friends. But they saved...or spared our lives." She turned the necklace in her hands. "It had energy in it, but I've used it all," she explained. "It's useless now."

"So we have to escape the city without magic?"

Erys nodded.

"Then that better be some plan," Keilith said.

"Yes," Erys agreed. "It should. But we can't act when we're too weak to hold ourselves up."

She turned her attention to her dragons. They lay on the ground, hardly breathing. Erys wondered if the wound-if any such wound-to one might kill all three. It seemed that was the likely case; though not directly wounded, the other two seemed just as weak. She had no doubt their bond was stronger than hers. She inspected the wound but didn't dare to remove the bandage.

Frantically, Erys began rooting through her pack.

"What are you doing?"

"The e-"

She stopped, eyes wide. Her confession died on her tongue.

"The what?" Keilith demanded.

"A...companion of ours...she might have left us something to treat wounds," she explained.

"The same companion who left you that necklace?"

"Yes."

Erys pulled a small sack from the bag, tied tight with cord. She opened it and poured the contents into her hand. Fine white powder spilled into her palm. A smile broke across her face as she rubbed it between her fingers.