Chapter Fifty-Six

Knucklebones

Erys could not stop the tears when they came.  She bent forward and wept; tears of joy mingled with tears of immense sorrow.  Vanilorbflooded her mind with images of them soaring above the clouds.  Joy flooded through their link more intensely than Erys had ever known, for it was the first time she'd truly opened her heart to theirs.

"We are with you."

Erys smiled.  She took a deep breath and stood. "And I am one with you."

"Well, well."

Erys jumped and turned.  Sitting on her haunches by the door was Shara.  She watched Erys with interest

"Congratulations, Argetlam.  You've grown," she remarked. 

"My bond has," Erys said with a nod.

"So  it has.  But your bond must continue to grow.  In time they will be the  only companions you know.  And it will be tested."

Erys nodded, unable to say anything more.

"Allow me to impart my knowledge unto you."

She smiled, revealing two rows of pointed teeth.  Her grin unnerved Erys, but she was eager to know what news the Werecat had kept from her.

"Listen well; I'll not repeat myself."  Shara fixed her gaze on her and spoke.  "The dark master shall rise again stronger than before, but weaker than ever.  To save what you love the weapon must be one—the vengeance of  Shadeslayer and Kingkiller shall arise, bound through the strength of Shur'tugal abr Thirr.  Three will fight.  Two must fall."

Shara made a point of cleaning her paw before jumping from her perch and walking away.  Erys stumbled after her.

"But...wh-what does that mean?" she stammered.

"I don't know myself,"  Shara murmured.  "Perhaps you should ask Angela.  It's the whole reason she sought to take you from Alagaësia in the first place."

Erys stiffened.  "What do you mean?"

"If you want answers," Shara said, "go to her."

Erys could think of no other means to discover the truth.  If Angela had given the fortune she was the only means to find answers; she'd done so once before.  Maybe this time she'd have more to offer.  Erys trudged to her chambers—her guard following quietly behind her—avoiding everyone where she could.  She ordered her guard to stop a few feet down the hall and approached Angela's door quietly and rapped her knuckles against the door.  Angela opened the door and stared down at Erys.

"Yes?"  her tone was less than friendly.

"May I come in?"

"What do you want?"

"I—"  Erys tried to remember what Shara had said. She dropped her voice to a whisper.  "Your fortune—"

"Why should I say anything of my fortune, least of all to you?

"I meant the fortune you...saw...of mine, the fortune you gave me."

"Yours?"

"You told me some in Therinsford.  I want to hear more."

Angela thought a moment, then leaned back with a smile.  "You spoke with Shara.  She told you of the dark master?"

Erys nodded.  "What does it mean?"