Chapter Eight

Magic's Toil

Erys sat, bouncing a pebble on her palm. Growing bored she sat forward and drummed a finger against her knee. At first the thought of using magic had sent excitement racing through her. It was soon replaced then by frustration, and finally fear as she was faced with the near impossibility of her task. Summoning the power she needed proved to be difficult in and of itself; forget actually using that power. If she could not summon the magic they needed, they would die when the next guard came; she doubted anyone would show them the same mercy Enneniya had. The fear pushed her to search harder.

The magic was hidden within some corner of her mind that she had yet to find. It was odd; being bonded with her dragon opened her mind in a way she'd never imagined. It was now something she could explore, almost as if there were something physical about it, yet at the same time intangible. Memories and thoughts sailed past her as she searched her mind. Still, she could not sense where the magic, this power she should possess, was located until moments later she found something, like a small bump; it felt foreign to her mind but also innately part of her. It thrummed with power. She searched for a way in, but found none. It was completely protected. Angry, she drove a mental attack at it.

The barrier fell instantly and she was hit with a wave of energy so intense it had completely flooded her mind and overwhelmed her; the shock of it was like jumping into a lake during winter. With every second of its presence it threatened to drown her. Gasping, she released the energy. It retreated back behind the barrier, where it remained, waiting to be breached again. It left her shaking and startled. She collapsed against the tree, breathing hard.

"What happened?" Eirdain demanded.

Erys glanced around the clearing. They were seemingly alone. But the elf could be close by, listening. She motioned for him to come closer, though the distance would make little difference, and reached into his mind.

She was wary of opening her mind. It meant Enneniya could enter and overhear what she meant to be private. Not that it mattered anyway. If she wanted to know, all she had to do was attack again and search for what she wanted. Erys' mind was no match for the elf's.  She fought not to be distracted by Eirdain's memories or thoughts; she'd never been in another's mind before. It was surreal, seeing thoughts that weren't her own. He reeled back, trying to flee from her touch, but could not defend himself. He did not have the calm strength to put up a barrier. The moment her mind touched his, she felt it strain against her. Fear and anger assaulted her, but did nothing to stop her.

"It's me!" Erys shouted in her mind, then seeming to think better of it whispered, "it's me!"

Eirdain pressed a hand to his head, stunned by the deafening roar of Erys' call. "How are you doing that?" he finally managed.

"Sh!" Erys said intently.  "Speak only in your mind!"

He nodded, though he was obviously still confused.  "What is it?"

"I'll explain later! I think I found the magic, the energy I can use!"

"Great! That means we can get out of here!"

"Yes! But there was something strange about it."

"How?" he demanded.

"I don't know for sure. I'll explain in detail later. After we're free of this place. It's not safe to discuss here."

Erys pulled free of Eirdain's mind and threw her barriers back up. Enneniya walked back into camp moments later.

"Any success?"