Chapter 3

April was certain that they had to get someone to believe that she saw the four mutant heroes, she had to know. Shira was the first to see them when she came to and they had saved her from the  Foot Clan. April had gotten Shira to a local hospital so she can recover and she had to start gathering information for her story. Her curiosity started to get the better of her and she started to analyze and research the vigilante and the experiments of her childhood pets. She was obviously excited to tell someone quickly and met Burnett Thompson at the doorway of the Channel 6 office.

"All right, what was so important that I had to get here?" Thompson demanded.

"You know how I saw the vigilante?" April asked. "But I had no photos or evidence to show you, so I just sounded crazy. I saw him again. Well, I didn't see him again, I saw them, because there's four. There's not just one, there's four. And I was standing as close to them as you are to me right now. And not just me but Shirahara Hamato as well."

"What'd they look like?" Thompson asked.

"I'll show you."

April explained everything she learned the night before. She'd recognize the Japanese symbol- the one that meant family- from her father's lap all those years ago.

She remembered that her father had to conduct experiments for Eric Sacks and first met the box turtles in the lab. They were a part of the experiment but somehow, the turtles have been mutated. April was sure of it. She pulled out a conspiracy board with Japanese symbols, photos of turtles and the blurred figure that Shira had taken. 

"They're turtles?"

"Well, they don't look like turtles because they are turtles," said April. "They're over six feet tall and they speak English. I was awake all night, googling all of the thwarted crimes over the past three months, and this symbol appeared at every single one. Look! Every single one of them. This one, look. And it's an ancient Japanese symbol that means "family." Wait, it's on my laptop." She took out her camera to show why.

"Oh, my God. I can't believe you brought me in to do this!" Thompson moaned, feeling skeptical.

"It's here, it's here," April repeated. "This is my father's lab. This is the same lab where these things were born or created or mutated. Or, I don't know the terminology, but will you please just look at what I'm showing you and listen to me. It's all connected. The turtles are the vigilantes and the vigilantes are these turtles," She showed her the video. Her eight year old self was feeding the turtles pizza. It was one of the turtle's favorites. "And while I was unconcious, a dear friend of mind, Shirahara told me that she saw them and told me about them."

Thompson raised an eyebrow, feeling that April has gone crazy and yet, she is clear that she doesn't believe April or what she was saying.

"Shira? Shirahara Hamato?"

April nodded her head. "Yes. She is alive but she could not speak, move, hear or see. I think the Foot Clan had captured her from the hospital. It is said that they needed her powers Hybria to fight off the vigilante."

Thompson sighed. "To be fair, Shirahara Hamato is in a coma. Her mother and father, Shen Hamato and Yoshi Hamato both died in a car accident, leaving their four daughters alive. The oldest sister was put into a coma and had to go to surgery. And her sisters had been placed in an orphanage."

"It is true," April insisted. "Shirahara had been rescued by those vigilantes. She was the first to wake up to see them before I came too."

"I just want to be clear. You are now telling me that there are four six-foot talking turtles walking around New York City, and no one has seen them but you and your friend?" she asked, obviously.