PART FIVE

PART FIVE: THE DEVIL AND HER DETAILS

The earth was cracked into two, and from the rubble of the crack, there emerged the Goddess of Death—her great obsidian wings were at full display. Her black robe accentuating her curves and complementing her equally as dark eyes and lips. It was an undeniable fact that the Goddess of Death was the fairest of them all. Mara was soon faced with her mother.

"My dearest Mara, I've missed you" The Goddess of Death began, her words and her delivery was maniacal—they were laced with venom.

"Mother," Mara addressed, as the rest of the world were left astonished at the sight of the Goddess.

"Come now, dearest, let me take you home. You've had your fun in the mortal realm." Her words were soft like velvet, but her intentions were spiked like her obsidian wings.

"I will not be coming with you. This is my home now; these are my people, and I am willing to give my life for them" Mara bit back—at least she got her confidence from her mother.

"Don't be silly child, this is not your home, the underworld is"

"I do not care what you say, I will stay here, and I will fight with my people. Even if it means fighting you as well"

"I am your mother, Mara; you shall do as I say"

"I am no child anymore mother,"

"These mortals, they have a saying. What was it again?" The Goddess of Death paced "Ah, of course, blood is thicker than water. We are of blood Mara, now come with me" she said

"You've got it all wrong mother, the saying goes 'the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb' This is my covenant, my chosen family" Mara pointed at her friends

"You know nothing of what you speak of—" the Goddess was cut off by Mara

"Why are you even here mother? You are not welcome in the mortal realm—unless you were summoned" then reality dawned upon Mara, someone had summoned the Goddess of Death.

With the distance that lay between them, the Goddess of Death smiled—diabolically.

"Finally, little Mara solved the equation" the Goddess hovered further in the sky; Mara followed. They now were circling in the sky, parallel to each other. "It's time you find out that your chosen family was not so loyal after all" she said

"What do you mean—?" before Mara could finish her sentence, the Goddess of Death placed both her hands on Mara's head

---------------------

Legends say that no matter how desperate and dire, never pray to the gods that answer after dark, but someone did. It has reached the point of desperation where praying to the gods both old and new was not enough. Desperate time calls for desperate measures.

A girl with bright red hair was on her knees—praying, like her life depended on it.

-----------------------

Once the Goddess of Death removed her hand from Mara's head, she was left unconscious. Like a meteor, her unconscious body came falling down to earth. Colin's lifeline flashed before his eyes; within a heartbeat he went to catch Mara's body.

"Hey, Mara wake up. You must wake up. Don't leave me yet. Come on you have to wake up" Colin's words were shaking, fear crept into his mind—to his luck, Mara regained consciousness. "I thought, I lost you" Colin sighed pulling her into a warm embrace

Flashes of the vision the Goddess of Death showed her still haunted her head. Life was drained from her face at the revelation and realization.

Mara regained her composure; she was now on her feet. She turned to Azalea, "Azalea, what did you do?" she asked with every fiber in her body praying that she is wrong.