Chapter 18

Time stretched to infinity. Fred was falling into the explosion as it started, Beatrice at its heart, The ref dashing into it. Everything came to a complete stop for everyone when suddenly, large white chains surrounded the stage while spiraling around the explosion. In an instant, it shrunk with the explosion to a tiny dot at the tip of Louis's finger. Louis who was now standing at the center of the stage blew at the tiny explosion and it quenched. Beatrice and Fred found themselves laying comfortably in a white energy bubble.

"You kids continue to intrigue me. That was a superb battle." He smiled as he looked at them. The crowd, the contestants, the ref, and the MC were all confused and surprised but one thing was for sure.

"Winner Fred! by ermm... uhhh" The ref wasn't sure what to call it.

"Let's say by interference. That's if you are okay with it, Beatrice." Louis spoke softly and Beatrice didn't even realize that she nodded in agreement. Her heart had skipped many beats at the fact that she just had a near-death experience and also at the handsome figure she saw smiling at her.

"Sir! Winner Fred by interference!" The ref called and the crowd went wild with cheers and claps.

The medics moved quickly into the stage to meet the contestants. Louis lifted them gently with his chains and placed them softly on the stretchers. The medics began first-aid and with a step, Louis was back on his seat at the V.I.P section.

"Your injuries are enormous. With your hands as it is, you will not be able to manipulate source energy for a while. My advice is that you drop out from the tournament now." A medic whispered to Fred. His eyes fell with a bit of sadness.

He smiled at the medic and said, "Thanks for the advice, but I am not giving up just yet."

"Alright then. Best of luck." The medic carried him with a stretcher to the waiting room while the others carried Beatrice off the stage. Su walked up to Fred as he was laid on a seat.

"You did it, she knew you could. She's so happy" Her eyes became watery as she hugged him.

"Ah chi chi chi..." Fred reacted due to the pain.

"Oh shit, she's sorry"

"Don't fret it." He chuckled a bit.

"You are a lot more frightening than you look. For a white source to step in. That's got to be a crazy feat man. Maybe I should actually be watching out for you!" Francis praised.

Fred laughed again although it made him feel more pain. The two laughed also. Then there was a brief silence. The stage was in a ravaged state as such the final fight was pushed back for ten minutes while they repaired the stage.

"The final fight for the first round will soon begin" Francis mentioned as he saw them fix the stage.

"You guys are the only ones that have seen Kris's current prowess, do you think he stands a chance?" He asked and a serious mood took over their waiting room.

"If she's speaking objectively, then she highly doubts. Salim is incredibly strong and driven." Su responded.

"I feel Kris on the other hand still has a lot he is yet to show us. Salim stats are higher but Stats don't always determine the winner of a battle." Fred replied with a smile.

"I see. Allow me to rephrase the question a bit. Who would you like to face in the next round, Fred."
Fred and Su's eyes widened, then they looked at each other. Fred's eyes fell as he couldn't answer the question.

"Well then, I guess we'd have to wait and see," Francis concluded.

AT THE VIP section,

"To think our choices would meet in the very first round of the final stage." Louis chuckled.