Chapter 20

I turned and went back to Trey, standing there staring down at him. He smiled up at me, those naughty dimples making me feel warm in all the right places again. "Who was at the door?" He sat up and reached for me, taking my hands in his and pulling me back down on top of him. I straddled his hips, the heat of his body sinking into me as I settled against him. Big hands slid under the borrowed shirt, pushing it up so he could get at my breasts again.

"My mother," I answered as he sucked a nipple into his talented mouth.

He laid back, the shirt falling back into place. He looked a little panicked. "What?"

"The woman who birthed me," I said. I stretched myself out over him, nipping at his neck in the way that I knew he liked to distract him. He groaned and pulled me tighter against him but then my stupid mother pounded on the door. Trey stiffened but didn't let me go.

"Hannah!" she shouted. "Open this door or I'll break it down, you ungrateful little witch!"

I lifted my head with a frustrated growl. "Fuck off, you evil viper!" I shouted back.

"Han," Trey chided. "She's your mom." He tried to sit up but I pushed him back down. My mother pounded on the door again. I growled. Trey sighed. "I'll get it." He lifted me up like I didn't weigh anything and tossed me on the couch before he stood and went to the door.

"Just because she birthed me, doesn't mean she's not an evil viper," I said as I sat up and pulled the shirt back down with an angry huff.

Trey threw me an exasperated look over his shoulder before he opened the door. I put my elbows on my knees and my face in my hands. He was really going to let her in. "Sorry about that," I heard him rumble. "Please, come in." Footsteps on tile and then the door clicked shut. "I'm-"

"That's nice," my mother said. I turned my head to the door to see my mother cutting him off with an absent wave of her hand. I could feel his annoyance before I shut him out. Trey mumbled something but it was too low for me to hear.

"I tried to tell you," I sighed into my hands.

"Aren't you going to greet your mother?" the demon that birthed me into this world said as she came to a stop in front of me.

"No. Now go away and leave me alone."

"I'll stay." I lifted my head from my hands and stared up at my mother. She stared down at me, her intense blue eyes roaming over me. "You look fine now." Now? What did she mean by "now"?

"That's because I am fine."

"Would anyone like a drink?" Trey asked as his voice moved toward the kitchen.

I raised an eyebrow at my mother's tone, totally ignoring my mate. "So, what? You came to see for yourself so you could dance on my corpse?" I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. The thought of it should maybe make me a little sad but it didn't at all. I stopped caring for what my mother thought or felt about me over a hundred years ago.

She snorted. "Even if you weren't fine, you'd hardly be a corpse. As long as your head was still attached, you'd survive." She paused. "Everything else would grow back. You are a divine just like those bastards that call themselves gods." Trey started coughing, probably choking on his drink. My mother looked away from me and toward the kitchen. "Oh. Did she not explain that part to you, dog? That we're divine, just like the so-called gods?"

I stood up and stabbed a finger at my mother. "He knows that. And don't call him a dog," I growled out. She could call me anything she wanted but she couldn't insult my mate.