Chapter 17 Surprise!

Alexis Rosewood

"Ahhh, finally!" Alexis sighed deeply, "Home sweet home." She turned her head to her mom with wide a smile, "I still can't believe that it's all over. No more classes, exams, studying, taking notes, nothing."

A sudden and distressed seriousness whirred in, "Even though I'm happy, I feel guilty that I'm this relieved." An evil stray thought popped in her head and toyed with her, "I feel like the administration office will call any minute now to tell me they've added a fifth year and I should return." She turned a whispered to her mother with horrified expression, "Don't let them take me."

Helen laughed lightly. She glanced at her daughter in the seat next to her before turning her eyes back to the road. "Don't you worry, I'll hide you from them."

Alexis chuckled and looked out her window to catch all the changes that she has missed sense her last visit. Her mom was the perfect tour guide and filled her in as they drove by.

"You see that new salon at the corner over there, Nail and Mane," Helen said and pointed to a shop with the purple front. "Nana and I agreed on waiting until you're home to go together."

"Yay!" Alexis clapped happily.

"Oh," Helen jumped on to the next shop before it slipped her mind, "I've been waiting to tell you this... do you remember that old burger place that closed down, you know, the one with the orange sign that we couldn't read."

Alexis laughed, "Oh yeah." She posed for the second before her eyes sparkled with hope, "Wait, did they reopen? They had the best fries."

Helen chuckled, "Yeah, their fries was the best." Shaking her head, she got back to the point, "But no, they did not reopen. In fact, you'll never guess what opened in its place."

Sitting up straighter from her previous slouching position, "What?!" Alexis asked curiously.

"A book shop," Helen let it drop.

"Noooo!" Alexis exclaimed in shock. "Oh my god, we could smell the French fries and onion rings from a mile away! Even after they shut down, we still could smell it. Do you remember what color was the ceiling?"

"Well, they did repaint the place," Helen shared, "but the smell is still there."

Alexis started to giggle, "Of course it is. That smell is buried deep in the walls. No paint will ever covering that."

They both started to cackle.

"Mom... Mom... you know what's... their best selling?" Alexis words started to scatter as she laughed at her own crazy joke, "cooking books. 'Cause... they already... come... scented..." her voice squeaked the last words as she strained to breathe, laugh and speak. "I... bet they're... selling like crazy."

Good thing that the light signal turned red and their windows were rolled up, so they could laugh their heads off.

Alexis wiped her eyes trying to catch her breath. She missed this. Four years were a long time, even if she came home during holidays, yet each semester felt as if it stretched longer than the one before. During the final two month of college, Alexis had her belongings sorted, boxed and labeled. She was literally living out of boxes. All eager for the day she came back home.

They have planned on dropping off her stuff home and then go meet Nana and Pops at the shop. Alexis stepped out of the pickup truck and breathed deeply the crisp night air and looked at the old grey-stone house. It always gave her that welcoming and comforting feeling.

Alexis turned to her mom who has already started to pick up boxes from the cargo bed. "Mom, why are all the lights off?" she asked.

Their home has never been this pitch black before, her mom always kept at least the porch.