Chapter 21 Invitation

Charlotte exclaimed in delight as she fanned her face as they stepped out of the auction house. "I must say, that was brutal."

"They didn't stand a chance against you." Liam complimented.

This was Noah's pre-anniversary gift for Charlotte. He had seized a seat for her –and plus one- at a private, VVIP exclusive, invitation only auction in Paris. Noah had the Houghton's private plane flew her from Nice to Paris this morning, and after that he left her in Liam's care for the day.

Bidding in auction houses was a favorite hobby of Charlotte's that she enjoyed very much. She was ruthless in auctions and had an extraordinary talent for evaluating the worth of auctioned pieces and an eye for fine art, precious gems and jewelry and unique antiques. It was always entertaining watching her in action.

Offering Charlotte his arm, Liam checked their surroundings before they made their way to limousine that the chuffer brought up front. The personal guard that was assigned to Charlotte was in full attention. Although Noah had already resolved the reason that had him send them away in the first place, he remained vigilant when it came to their safety. Noah's bodyguard and right-hand man Roger was still recovering back home as Liam was informed by Noah.

Chuckling lightly, Charlotte gave his arm a gentle squeeze. "It was really sweet of you to spare me some time, honey."

Liam patted her hand and reminded her, "I always accompany you."

"Yes, you do." Charlotte smiled at him.

Liam had already made dinner reservations at one of Charlotte's favorite restaurants. Since they arrived to France, their usual daily dinners had rendered scant with him needed to stay in Paris to take care of the business Noah appointed to him while Charlotte and the rest of the family remained in Nice. Even with his visits, Charlotte still missed him having him with them every day at the dinner table. Delaying Charlotte return to Nice was an opportunity to get her mind off the anniversary party preparations and out of the Villa.

Charlotte was overjoyed when she learnt that they were going to spend some time together before her return to Nice. She chatted about the rarest things she found at auctions, the preparations for the party and the friends who had arrived. Stories from her and Noah's youth-years were shared too.

After dinner, Liam asked when they returned to the limousine, "Do you mind if we made a short stop first?"

Charlotte shook her head, "Not at all."

Being married to a businessman, 'short stops' along the way were a regular thing. So were phone calls and short meetings.

------------------------

"Alexis," Liam called out her name when he saw her searching. How she spun around and smiled when she saw him was forever indelible in Liam's mind.

He knew that they wouldn't be able to meet today for she had an early morning tour followed by a late class. For some reason, it weighed Liam down not seeing her at. Liam's day went by rather eldritch with her on mind but not in sight. The determinism of calling her on her break to come see him outside for a minute was a given. This should sustain him – for now.

"Hello," Alexis greeted with a surprised laugh as she approached. "I thought I won't be seeing you tonight."

"Just for a short while," Liam shared.

Alexis beamed at him, "I'm happy you came."

Hearing the lilted happiness in her voice was reviving and vivacious. Liam's senses burgeoned with every step that brought her closer. There was a wave of satisfaction to knowing that she hoped for his company as much as he did hers.