Door/Goodbyes/Reunion

Selected: Reunion/Goodbyes

   Of all of the ways Harukawa Maki could have ever hoped to reunite with her long-lost love, this is the worst possible way.

   With a photo of Momota Kaito in one hand and a gun in the other, all she feels like doing is curling up into a ball and dying.

   The worst part is that it's going to be so easy to get close to him. If he's anything like he was back when they were together, he's going to be ecstatic to see her. She would be too if she didn't have to kill him.

   Intel tells her that the cafe she's standing on top of is one that the tar-Momota-kun visits Tuesdays and Thursdays for a drink and a donut. Sometimes he meets up with friends, but most of the time, he's alone and reading a book or something.

   It should be relatively easy to take him away from the cafe and go to somewhere dark and secluded where she can just kill him and be done with it. 

   The sooner, the better. For both of their sakes.

   The brunette gracefully leaps off the roof of the cafe, landing in the alley between the cafe and the tattoo parlour next door. Before stepping onto the sidewalk, she dusts herself off, concealing the weapon and the photograph in her pocket.

   She huffs, jerking her head so that her hair moves out of her eyes before approaching the doors. She enters the cafe, doing a quick sweep of the room before determining that Momota has not yet arrived.

  Any minute now then. 

   She quietly orders an iced coffee, drumming her fingers against the counter as she waits. The bell above the door chimes out, and she glances over her shoulder to see Momota Kaito himself entering the room.

   It's been a few years since Harukawa last saw Momota in person, and all she has to say is that he's just as handsome as ever.

   The man's eyes meet hers immediately, widening in surprise, and then his face breaks into a smile. ". . .Maki roll?"

   Her eyes drop to her feet. "Hi, Kaito," She mumbles, "Good to see you again."

   Momota crosses the room in three strides, trapping her in a bone-crushing hug, nearly making her spill her drink. "Wow!" He gasps, "I never thought I was going to see you again! You don't know how much I missed you, worried about you! Oh, Maki-"

   Despite everything, the brunette hugs him back. How could she not?

   He pulls away, grinning sheepishly at her. "Sorry, I got a little excited. Are you okay?"

   The brunette dusts herself off with her free hand. "Fine, thank you. Hey, I'm not doing anything right now if you want to go for a walk and catch up."

   Momota grins. "That sounds awesome! Let me just go grab a drink, and we can be on our way!"

   Harukawa watches him trot up to the counter and order a cold brew. He hopes it's a good one; it's going to be the last one he ever has. 

   The last thing he ever gets to taste.

-

   "NASA, huh?" Harukawa asks casually, looking around for a good place to stop and get things done.

   "Yeah. Really high up, actually. I know, like, all of the secrets. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two people even wanted me dead!" He laughs, taking a swig of his drink.

   The brunette nearly flinches. "That would be unfortunate."

   "Aw, don't worry, Maki roll, they'll never get close enough to lay a finger on me, I promise!" He gives her an affectionate grin, "Now that I've found you again, I'll never leave again." Momota promises.

   The assassin wipes away a tear when he looks the other way.

   "Ah, my shoe's untied," She observes suddenly, "Hold my drink?"

   "Of course," He replies, taking it from her, "Take your time."

   Harukawa kneels in front of an alley, taking a good look at it. It looks dark and deep enough; it'll do. Hopefully, no one will find his body for at least a while.

   She stands up straight and says, "Hey, Kaito, I think I saw something," She frowns, "Come check this out; it's insane."

   "Huh?"

   Harukawa starts making her way down the alley, Momota following close behind.

   "I don't get it, Maki roll; there's nothing down here."

   ". . .Kaito, I'm sorry." 

   "Huh? For what? You didn't do anything wro-"

   Harukawa slams him against the wall, blade to his throat, catching him completely off-guard. Both drinks fall from his hands, splattering all over the concrete floor.

   By now, a few more tears have gathered in her eyes as she holds him in place. This just needs to be done, and it needs to be done now.

   "I'm sorry, in my line of work, you know I don't have a choice. And there's no way I would be doing this if I didn't have to, but-"

   Momota sighs. "I'm dying anyway." He interrupts. 

   ". . .What?"

   "That illness I told you about. . .it's progressed a lot," He smiles wryly, "The doctors say I don't have a lot of time left anyway. So don't stress about it, okay, Maki roll?"

   "K-Kaito, I-. . .I-I don't want to do this!" She sobs.

   His eyes soften. "You know you have to, Maki. I'll forgive you. I promise."

   "Kaito-"

   "I promise it's okay," He assures her, "One quick swipe, and it's over. You know how to make it painless, don't you?"

   She nods.

   "There we go. . .But can I make one last request?"

   "Anything." She vows.

   "Can I. . .Can I  have. . .one last kiss?"

   ". . .Of course." She snivels, closing the distance between them, trying to pour all of her emotions into the display of affection.

   Halfway through the kiss, she runs the knife through his throat before stepping back to gently place his body on the ground.

   "I love you," She whispers, "Goodbye, Momota Kaito."