forty

chapter forty [ let go, trust me ]

chapter forty
[ let go, trust me ]

while half the town was all at the fun fair, melissa and her friends sat around in the living room of her little cabin, listening to eleven explain what she saw in the void, "he said he was building something. that it was all for me."

"building something..." max started, "is he talking about the flayed?" she asked aloud, to no one in particular.

"he must be," nancy mumbled.

"so, he's building an army, just like we thought." lucas spoke up, pacing back and forth.

"yeah but he's not building it to spread." mike said from his spot on the couch.

"he's building it to stop eleven." will added.

"last year, el closed the gate on him," mike began, "i have a feeling that really pissed him off."

"like, royally." lucas agreed.

"and the mind flayer now knows el is the only thing that can stop him," mike continued, "but if she's out of the way...."

"game over." lucas finished.

amongst the talking, will and melissa were bickering back and forth. melissa had told will she knows where the source is and has been there.

"could you two stop it!" mike shouted at the couple, rolling his eyes annoyed.

"i know where the source is." melissa spoke up for the first time in forever, ignoring what mike just said, "i've been there before."

the group all looked at each other then back at the girl. max noticed something, about melissas eyes.

they were still their natural blue but were slowly becoming black. melissa noticed she was staring and sent her a cold glare which caused max to look away.

what the fuck was that?!

"do you remember why you were there?" nancy asked the girl calmly.

melissa shook her head, "no i don't."

it was quiet for a moment until, "he also said, he was going to kill all of you." eleven added.

"yeah well, that's nice." max scoffed.

they suddenly heard faint screeching noises from outside. nancy stood up and walked toward the windows, "do you guys hear that?"