Chapter 1

(Dipper pov)

I hold Mabel's hair back as she pukes into the small trashcan, hating seeing her like this. I have to look away because I know that if I see her puking then I will start puking myself.

When she's done she wipes her mouth on her sleeve as I help her back to bed and tuck her in putting a damp cloth on her forehead to try and help with her rising fever.

"I'm sorry, bro-bro."

"What for?"

"You always having to take care of me like this?"

"Hey, that's what family is for. You would be doing the exact same thing if I was the one sick."

"Are you working late again?"

"Yeah, I have to go soon."

"I hate that you work so much."

"Don't you worry about me. Let me refill your glass of water."

I take her glass and walk to a curtained part of the attic that we used as a sort of kitchen. I pour water from the pitcher into her glass. The truth is I lost my job a week ago and have been going out every night trying to find work but have been turned down by everyone. I don't know what else to possibly do.

A sigh escapes me as I run a hand through my hair. I go back to the curtained area that is her room and see she's fast asleep. I set the water on her nightstand before I leave the attic.

I hug my jacket closer to my body, shivering at the bitter cold that seeps through my thin jacket. It's made mostly of patches that I use to try and fix the tears in it. I've had it for so many years but I can't afford to buy a new one.

As soon as I head into the bar, the bar tender Charlie sighs. "Dipper-"

"I know I know. But are you sure there isn't the slightest chance you could just hire me even for just a few hours?"

"I already told you no."

He goes to serve someone else as I lean on the counter with my head in my hands.

"Tough break?" I look over seeing a blonde guy sitting in a nearby stool, his hair hanging over his right eye. His black coat lays on the counter next to him.

"Something like that."

"You want to talk about it over drinks?"

"Can't. I can't even afford the water here."

"It's all on me. Order whatever you want, I can pay for everything here. Charlie!" Charlie comes back over. "Whatever he orders is on me."

"I'll just have a whiskey on the rocks then." I take a seat next to the man as Charlie fixes my drink.

"So, how does life have you down this time?"

"Lost my job and about to be kicked out of my flat. Moeny problems have been going on for a while but now it's at an all time low."

I pick up my drink taking a sip of it when out of nowhere he kicks my seat making it tip backwards. I yell in surprise as I fall backwards and at the last minute manage to do a handstand before landing myself back on my feet, the drink spilled on the floor and the glass shattered.

"W-What the fu-"

"That's a shame. I thought you would have been able to catch the glass. You used to be able to do all those crazy flips and things and catch stuff like it's no problem."

"What are you talking about?" I put the seat back up as I sit down again.

He takes a paper out and puts it on the counter. I cringe seeing it. It's from when I was 15 and tried making it big by showing off my unnatural flexibility. All it did was get me branded as a freak and get things thrown at me.