Chapter 6

The sun was setting. It was time to go. My day was well spent in the stream and at some point, I had realized that the sky was transforming into warm tones abnormal from its usual blue glow. Part of me wished to linger in the water all night, but the desert became chilly in the late evening. Besides, it was much too dangerous anyway. Mountain lions and scorpions and such.

I remember rising from my waterbed and the cool air striking me with surprising intensity. I unhitched Lady Mary from the tree. During this, I could only guess that I looked like a soaked cat, displeased with my situation. My wet undergarments hugged me in a manner that seemed to weigh me down. They really didn't, but I thought it. Lady Mary became impatient and poked at the ground with her hooves.

"In a minute, Girl." I coaxed, "just give me a minute." I was fiddling with the saddle bag, trying to pry a thin coat from it. The seams had caught on a metal buckle.

"Shit..." I whispered.

I heard pounding in the distance. It caused me to cease my fiddling with the jacket. It became louder and louder as it gained speed. Closer. It was coming closer. I decided that I couldn't afford any run-ins with a stranger, so I abandoned my coat and leaped up on Lady Mary. I gave her a gentle kick, enough force so she would walk, but not gallop. I didn't want to draw attention to myself.

"Shhh..." I calmed my steed. She snorted with all of the pride and vanity of a race horse, but obeyed me nonetheless.

The noise drew even closer. Someone was on horseback. Someone was in a hurry, or maybe it was for sport, but I doubted it. The sun had completely disappeared, leaving the moon in its stead. Not many use the night for their recreational pleasures. Especially not racing. It was dark and even darker by the creek with the trees blocking out the moonlight. I had long escaped the banks, but whoever was riding, had not. But soon, they would.

I encouraged Lady Mary to pick up her pace when an idea sparked in my mind. I turned the direction of my horse and made a semi-circle back to the stream. I took care to not get close to the Stranger in the Night, but they were still audible. Once I had reached the shallow waters, I convinced Lady Mary to wade into the stream with sweet words. She dragged her hooves in disgust through the water, against the current. She took me further and further forward. The rushing of the water covered our noise and prevented any tracks from appearing. Our scent had also dissipated into the crystal oasis.

Surely, this person won't expect me to ride right into the river...

I was confident that I had ensured my discretion. I beckoned Lady Mary and had her turn right, out of the stream. I could tell she was grateful to be rid of the strong water fighting against us. Now, I let her run fast. As fast as she could. I thought the Stranger in the Night had lost us in the thicket. Before, I assumed that the Stranger in the Night was only riding to see, not to seek. I only fled as to not intrude or cause trouble, but when I heard the galloping once again I knew this person had seen me and wished to seek me. They had heard me leaving the river, it was the only way, and now they had sights on my panicked figure. I whipped my head around every now and again to see if they were close or getting closer. The Stranger in the Night was faster than I thought. They made quick work of catching up to me. I was almost a half-mile away from the stream when their shadow started to encroach upon me. They might have shouted, maybe not. I didn't care.

What if it's one of those red-chiffon bearing bastards. What if?

The moon was lesser in shine on this night. When I tried to catch a glimpse of my pursuer, I could not make heads nor tails on whether he was wearing a brightly colored sash. I tried many times, but could not. Finally, the Stranger in the Night seemingly gave up. He slowed his horse, but never stopped completely. The thing I was hoping would not happen, happened.

"You!" A voice called. And then a cough, "you there!"

A cough.