Chapter V

"What kind of clues?" Dud said eagerly into the phone.

"Well, she left a little note."
"What's it say?"
"'Come find me before it's too late. You have 10 days.'" I recited from the paper shaking in my hand.
"Dude, 10 days isn't long enough for us to find her."
"Oh, yes it is." I said in a sassy way.
"Oh, no it isn't." He said back, mimicking me.

I got off the phone with Dud after convincing him I actually found a clue. My heart was racing.

The next day at school, I met up by my locker around 2nd period with Jack, and Kayla. She turned to me, and scanned me up and down.

"Um..." I mumbled.
"Oh, what? Sorry, I just love your shirt."

At the time, I was pretty obsessed with this band called Green Day. Now, don't get me wrong, sure they were kinda punk rock, but I liked 'em.

"Oh, thanks," I said quietly.

I popped open my locker when Dud ran right up to me, and yelled in my face:

"HEY DUDE SO I'M KINDA FREAKIN' OUT RIGHT NOW YANNO LIKE MY PARENTS UH THEY BOUGHT 341 MEXICAN NAZI'S, AND I'M MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY WORRIED ABOUT THEM, BECAUSE UM." He said quickly.

"Wait okay, okay, Mexican nazi's? You've gotta be kidding me oh my go-" I was cut off by Dud screaming. Again.

"I KNOW IT'S SCARING ME THEY PUT 34 OF THEM IN MY CLOSET, AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE DUDE HELP."
"Okay, listen Dud, right now I don't have time for your unnecessary screaming. I have to-"
"BUT THIS IS FUCKIN' URGENT MAN."
"BUT I REALLY DON'T CARE, MAN."
"Fine, assbutt, I'll wait 'till tomorrow."
"Good-"
"I HAVE 34 MEXICAN NAZI'S STUFFED IN MY CLOSET HELP."
"GODDAMNIT DUD."

I closed my locker, and walked off to 3rd period, science. Ingrid was such a mystery. She was like a butterfly. She couldn't see her beautiful wings, but everyone around her could. And me? I was like a piece of scrap paper. People used me until I was filled up, then threw me away.

And Jack. Jack was a tree stump. He had character, but as he got older he grew more lines just waiting for you to cross, and him to scold you. And Dud. Dud was a whatever the opposite of a tree stump was.