Part 2

Before I could say anything he was off. I then turned to my amused friends. Their eyebrows were raised, showing disappointment towards me. "What is that look for?" I questioned. "Him, he's trouble, you need to stay away." I was shocked. Normally if I had an attraction towards a  man my friends would support me, telling me to go for it. This was different. They were cold towards him. It may me wonder. Why? They had never met him before. They didn't know what he was like. "Are you jealous?" Was all I could reply with. 

There was a silence between us. After all the times we had been under this tree, chatting and giggling. There had never been a silence like this. You could cut the atmosphere with a knife. 

"Jealous! You think we are jealous." 

I was stunned. We had been friends for eighteen years. Donna had never spoken to me like this before. Neither had Fiona. Of course we had our arguments, what group of friends doesn't. However it was never like this.

"No, I don't think you are jealous." "I just don't understand why you don't like him, he seems nice enough." I wasn't going to let them get away with it. I wanted to know why. Why couldn't I go for it this time?

The silence was among us again. They looked at each other, wondering what to say next. We always did it. Whenever we were in an awkward situation and didn't know what to do.

Finally Fiona spoke up. "He, he... He has a reputation."

I wasn't quite sure what to say, I gathered my thoughts and responded.

"What sort of reputation?"

"A bad one." "He's a player."

I still didn't get why they didn't like him. I had a feeling that there was more too it.

"Aren't most boys, they're normally all after the same thing." 

I could see that they didn't want to talk about it anymore. The subject was quickly changed.

"Who wants pizza?" They both chimed. Their faces covered with fake smiles. 

We all started to climb to our feet, our bottoms numb from being sat too long. Both Donna and Fiona started walking down the path towards the Pizza place. I turned to find the handsome boy. His eyes met mine. Like love at first sight.