Chapter 7

Chapter 7 //

Alex pushed the book stuffed cart over to the biography section of Old and New: Books and, after pushing a strand of hair behind her ear, began to place the books on their rightful place on the shelf. Mrs. Jamie had made it her personal mission to get the girl as entwined with her town as she possibly could; maybe strap her into the roots of the place and keep her from leaving. She rather liked the girl who insisted on helping her with dinner every night and, morning before last, pitted all the cherries one of the local farmers brought up to the inn for pies. It took the entire morning and red juice stained Alex's gray sweatshirt with maroon splotches.

When she was finished shelving the book, she walked back behind the register. The front door opened with a sharp sound of the bell above it. She was fast learning that every shop in Fredericksburg was equipped with one. Warm air rushed into the air-conditioned book shop. Alex brushes off her faded boot-legged jeans and plasters a small smile onto her face and goes to greet the customer.

"Alex," Mae calls from the front, weaving her way through the shelves to the register. "I've brought someone for you to sell books to." Alex has been in town for four weeks, and Mae's pretty much introduced any breathing person she's come across to her. She knew all the Baptist church husband and wife pairs, the owners of the clothing boutique- Rob and Xander (who always look like they're ready for an island getaway), and every frequent customer of Casey's. There was a fair next weekend to celebrate the end of the Peach Festival and all the locals bring pie. Mae made Alex and unofficial judge of the baking contest. For the first tome in a while, Alex looked forward to waking up.

"Well, how are you today, Alex?" Daniel grins and touches her gone-bruise. "Mae here has been telling me I needed to formally apologize for whatever it was that I did to make you dart back at Casey's mama's place." Alex meets his eyes then looks over to Mae, who looks a whole lot like a cat who's caught the canary. "I'm not entirely sure what I did, but I am sorry. Really. I promise I don't make a habit of sneaking up on people." His eyes soften as he says this and Alex nods. She doesn't say anything to him. Her eyes survey his figure. He had the body of the swimmer's she knew back in high school: all lean, taunt muscle and veins corded up his forearms. Deep brown eyes that she could fall into. Mud-caked work boots covered with the dirty hem of the oh-so-well fitting blue jeans. A loose, black buttoned short-sleeved shirt.

He looked like a dust storm fell in love with an ocean. She could drink him up as he choked her. The thought shook her from her half-dazed stupor. He was lovely. He gave off the vibe of safety but the hairs on her arms were on end when he was around.

"Mae, would you mind coming over here with me real quick." Mae raises her eyebrows and pulls a piece of chocolate from her red purse. Unwrapping it, she pops it in her mouth. "I just got this new shipment of those bodice-ripping romances that you love so much." She was the cover of one at her—it as a picture of a woman as curvy as Mae wrapped in only a plush bed sheet with a Regency dressed man looming over her. It even made Alex sweat a little bit. Not that she'd admit that to her currently sputtering soul sister.

Alex's body shakes with silent laughter.

Mae flushes dark red. Rose-colored splotches race down her chest. She narrows her eyes at Alex. A flash of silver darts past her face. A piece of chocolate lands on the floor behind her. Alex rolls her eyes. Mae doesn't have the best aim.

"I thought we said we would never bring that up again!" Mae lets out a huff of breath, looking akin to an angry fire-breathing kitten. "I swear, two glasses of wine and I'll tell the whole world about all the skeletons in my closet. And everybody else's." Alex chuckles. Daniel watches the exchange between the two women who quickly became inseparable since Alex rolled into town.