My Heart Chained To The Thirsty

Chapter 1, part 1

17th August, 1657

Luna walked down the dark corridor in her long white nightgown holding a candle. The flame flickered as she walked. She heard movement in the spare bedroom. She thought who it could be. Her lover Lucas was in bed. Or so she though. She knocked and then the noise behind the door went silent.

She entered. Lucas was standing by the bed packing his clothes in an oversized brown suitcase. She remembered this from the last time he left her.

"Lucas...." Luna started. Lucas looked at her through his grey eyes and ran his finger through his light brown hair.

"Luna I have to leave they know to much." He threw the rest of his clothes into his suitcase and tied a large piece of ragged fabric around it to hold it together.

"No, wait give me a few minutes and I can come with you." Luna stumbled over her words. The look on his face made her heart sink.

"Luna, you can't come with me. It's too dangerous." He put both of his hands on the side of her face, and stared straight into her eyes.

"No, Lucas you can't leave me. You....you can't. You promised that you'd never leave." Tears ecscaped her eyes. But he wiped them away.

" Luna you know this will not be the last time we ever meet again. Fate will bring us together again my dear." He spoke sweetly and softly to his darling Luna.

"But you promised me!" She sobbed violently into his chest.

"I know. I'm sorry but I also promised you that I'd always keep you safe, and right now I'm keeping that promise." He said.

"Lucas. Please find me." She pleaded. She looked deep into his grey eyes which were now filled with tears.

"We will be together again my love. My darling Luna." He spoke trying to hold back the tears.

His eyes diverted towards the clock.

"I have to go." He said, he still had hold of Luna's face.

"Lucas...." He gave her a long passionate kiss and Luna never wanted him to stop. He pulled his face away hers. If Luna had know that would have been the last kiss she'd ever receive from his lips, she would have never let him go. But he did go.....and he never came back.

Present Day

I stood staring at myself in the mirror. I looked the same as I did everyday. Still me. My brown tousled hair caressed my face like a blanket - a blanket which smelt like strawberry flavoured shampoo. I had brown eyes. They weren't a beautiful kind of brown that were often described as resembling chocolate in the movies or in romantic novels, no, they were a muddy brown. I couldn't help but notice the bags underneath my eyes which must have been the result of the lack of sleep lately. I couldn't remember the last time I'd benefitted from a good nights sleep, or the last time I hadn't looked exhausted.

I was pulled from my train of thought by my foster mothers voice bellowing from the bottom of the stairs.

"Luna, we HAVE to leave, like right now."

Haley's voice travelled all the way to my room. Hayley was my foster mom. I'd lived with her and her family, my family, for nine years.

My birth mother had died giving birth to me, and nobody had heard from my dad since. That's all the information I'd ever been given and I guess it didn't matter anyway.

I took one final look around my now empty bedroom, one which I had lived in for the majority of my life and now, I was leaving it for another room in another state. It almost felt like betrayal - like I was cheating on this bedroom.

I laughed to myself when I realised how ridiculous I was being. I yanked my suitcase up from the bed and lifted it. My suitcase wasn't as heavy as I'd expect it to be, but I didn't have a lot of things to pack. I didn't see the point in collecting things and becoming sentimental over things that don't really mean anything. Says the girl who just came to the conclusion that she was betraying her own bedroom.

I heaved my suitcase down the stairs noisily where Hayley was waiting for me, fussing over minor details that really didn't need to be fussed over. That was Hayley, that was mom.

"What took you so long honey?" She asked, taking my suitcase from me and frantically trying to lift it out of the door ready to be loaded into the back of our car.

"Sorry, I was just saying goodbye." I replied.

She gave me a comforting smile, a smile that said how sorry she was , and I instantly felt bad. Mom didn't want to move states and the memory of when she announced the move to us a few months ago came back to me. We were  angry and we were hard on her - myself and Daniel. Haven not so much because she was little and everything was exciting to her, moving house meant adventure, but to Daniel and I it meant starting over. Mom assured us it was for the best because that's what moms do, they make you feel better about the unknown.

Mom knew that Daniel and I weren't happy about the move, not at first, but after long nights of talking, hand holding and hot mugs of tea we gradually came round and realised that she was doing her best for all of us. The move wasn't bad idea and would work out better in the long run. I still felt guilty for giving her such a hard time.

We walked out to the car together. I took a seat next to Daniel my brother.  I related more to Daniel than anybody. We were similar in age which is why we get a long so well, he was 17 and I was 16. He had a biological sister called Haven who was six. When Hayley adopted me she wasn't a single parent - she was a married women who loved children. She had Daniel, adopted me shortly after and then 6 years later she had Haven. Two years after Haven was born her husband, Haven and Daniel's dad, divorced Hayley. Our family history was complicated but we all had each other.

Mom started up the engine, and exclaimed loudly. "Who's ready for a new adventure!"

She turned around and smiled at Daniel and I in the rear view mirror. We both gave her our most genuine smiles.

"Me! I am!" Haven shouted waving her hands crazily in the air. We all chuckled. Funnily enough I felt like I'd had enough adventure in my life already.