Chapter 1 - A Glance

Young Espresso stared into the night sky, the stars twinkled and shone as the moonlight gently rested above his head. The moonlight has always been a wonderful creation by the legendary cookie herself - Moonlight. Her creation lit up the night, she guided the travelers of the night, comforting those who chose to gaze into the night sky.

  He always wonder, if he could ever be something like that - a light that guides everyone.

  "What are you doing up so late?" A sweet voice asked. He knew who the voice belonged to, it was too familiar to be unknown.

  "Just... can't sleep, as usual," he replied simply, not moving his gaze from the scenery.

  "You really gotta solve that problem of yours, you can't just... not sleep, ya know?" The voice said.

  "I'm trying but- "

  "You know you can always just visit him, right?" The voice cut him off.

  Espresso bit his lip, it was more complicated than that. "Latte, we'll never see him again," he said in a confident tone. "How could you be so sure?" Latte leaned onto the window frame, looking outside.

  "The Madeleine Family, that's... like one of the most famous noble families in the Crème Republic. Think of it Latte, why would they want to get themselves involve in our matters once they got what they desire?" He tried to explain.

  But Latte wasn't buying it.

  "Well, maybe because Butter Cake is our friend?" She said, still not believing Espresso's words. She was determined that their friend would return.

  "He isn't Butter Cake anymore," he said softly, his voice noticeably shaking.

  "Big brother, how could he not be Butter Cake anymore, what nonsense are you spitting about?" She tipped her head in confusion.

  "You'll find out tomorrow, get rest," he replied simply. He then proceed to grab her arm, pulling her to her bed. He urged her to lay down and tucked her into bed.

  Latte looked at him, "You promise, right?"

  "Promise what?"

  "That I'll find out tomorrow," she said.

  "Yes, if you go sleep now that is,"

  "Alright, goodnight big brother,"

  "Goodnight..."

∼∼∼

  "Wake up, Latte!!" Young Espresso shouted as he shook Latte's sleeping figure. She showed no sign of response.

  "Hey sis, you dead?" He asked half-heartedly, still shaking her but with more force. "Five more minutes..." she groaned, pushing away his hand and smacking her hand in his face with her eyes closed.

  "I swear to the witches, you're such a pain in the morning," he complained, pulling her covers from her. Latte certainly wasn't a morning person.

  "You are too, you know that?" She replied, sitting up. He smirked, it always works, the best way to wake Latte - steal her blankets.

  Espresso grabbed her hairband and her comb. He brushed her messy strands of white and coffee coloured mixture. Combing her hair into a ponytail, he grabbed the lose strands and tucking them together along with the big chunk he had in his left palm. It was a daily routine for him to help his little sister do her hair. He was so used to it, his movements have became so quick and smooth.

  Latte's hair was already in a slick ponytail when she finally forced her eyes open.

  She slumped back into her bed again, eyes shut and snoring. "Damn, I didn't wake you up for you to sleep again," Espresso pulled her up, "get going before you get me scolded by Mrs. Cappuccino again."