Unannounced guest at the farm

With the turn of events that transpired, I found my myself elated by it. The handsome intruder followed me deeper into my beloved home. I constantly peer over my shoulder at him. He intrigued me. Truly. His statue was formal, refined. If it weren't for his common clothes, I would've thought him different.

My house came into view as I kept to my thoughts. My thoughts of him. I glanced over to him. His eyes wandered along my family's land with such interest that I couldn't help but feel proud. "Welcome to my humble home." In my eyes, I never saw the farm as anything whimsical or wondrous. But when his gaze landed on my house and the brown barn and everything in between, I saw it differently.

"You aren't from here, are you?"

He finally tore his eyes from the sight and met my own questioning gaze. "Pardon?" Grey. His eyes were some sort of grey. The midday sun made them appear a different colour. In truth, they suited his olive skin. "You aren't from Pierre-mont," I repeated myself. "Everyone from the ville knows about the farm. It's the only one nearby for miles."

"You are perceptive, miss..?" The top of my ears grew hot under his gaze. He's much taller than I and intimidating when he wants to be, I'm sure. "A-annette," I stumbled over my own name, embarrassing myself like a petite écolier. "But many call me Annie." He flashed me a broad smile that flips my stomach inside out. "I shall think I prefer Annette," he said before passing me by. I quietly watched him go. A chill slithered up my leg in that moment causing me to finally noticing the ugly tear going up my dress.

"Merde,"I cursed at the sight of it. This was my last decent dress. I suppose this means that it is time for a new dress, I thought to myself, If Papa cannot buy me a dress or materials, I shall have to patch it. "You may call me Tim." His voice pulled me out of my thoughts about my nearly tattered dress. His gaze was still surveying my home while he spoke to me, not realizing that I wasn'tas close as I'm sure he thought I was. He was so enraptured that hedidn't notice the faint gallop of horses.

Without any thought, I ran to him. "Quick!" I grabbed his arm and pulled him along. "What's happened, Annette?" My hand accidentally slipped into his as the panic slowly rose up my throat. I swiftly led himtomy barn, begging the heavens to give me the time I needed to adjust my character. "In the barn," I pulled him forward when we neared thefaded brown doors. My ears the picked up the guards horses. They're much closer now. Anxiously,I pushed the doors open and turned to look at Tim. "Allez allez."

Tim finally realized the reason for my urgency as the guard made their way to us. "Go!" I shoved him into the barn, closing the doors on his face. With a small breath, I turn around as five men on horseback ride up my house. My hands grip my dress, anxiety clogging up my throat the closer they get. You've done this before, Annette. Breathe. The men halted in front of me, their captain stepping forward slightly. I've never seen these men before. And that made me tense. "Bonjour, mademoiselle." The captain greeted me with a nod. "Good day, capita'ne." He kindly smiled but I don't warm up to him. "Ah, great! You speak English. It makes things easier, don't you think?" I don't answer. The Guard of Pierre-mont are French and they would rather speak French than English. Pierre-mont have never treated the English kindly. If it wasn't for the fact that I was born here and my mama was clearly French, papa and I would've been forced to leave a long time ago.

"We're looking for a boy, around 17 or 18 years of age. Tall, dark hair?" My eyes remain focus on them, no matter how much I want to look over at the barn. "No, sire," I responded, "I've not seen no boy like that here. M'papa hasna either. What's the boy wanted for?" The horse huffed and shuffled his hooves back and forth. The other men shared looks and weary grim faces. "Stealing." I didn't believe him. They all appeared too uneasy, unsure. The captain studied me quietly as I silently thought about them. "Is there anything else past this farm, mademoiselle?" I shook my head no. "M'papa's farm is the only one in Pierre-mont, sire."

The captain wrapped the reigns of his horse around his hands, readying himself to leave. "If you by chance see this chap, fetch a member of the Guard immediately." I told him I would and they all left in a hurry. I let the tension that was building on my shoulders go, reverting back to who I truly was. I did that often. Played the role of the farmer's daughter. Many in the town have seen me do this with outsiders and members of the Guard. Because my papa is an English farmer, they understood why. Especially around the nobles of Pierre-mont. Quickly, I ran back to the barn. I swung the door open and rushed in, slamming it behind me. Tim jumped from his spot on the floor. "Ca c'etait quoi? Why were you speaking that way, Annette?"

I shot him a look. "Are you a thief?" Surprise flashed in his eyes. Confusion as well, I think. "Is that what they told you? Un voleur?" I took a couple of steps towards him looking deep into his eyes. "I'm risking a lot to take you in, Tim. I cannot and will not deceive my father for a common thief." He closed the distance between us and took my right hand. "I swear to you, Marie-Annette, that I am no common thief. I have not lied to you and I never will." His words warmed my heart a touch. Made it beat faster, louder. Right then and there, I vowed to help him.