The Duchess' Heir-Excerpt

Enjoy this excerpt of the continuation of Annette's story, The Duchess' Heir. It is now live on my profile. Check it out if you want to see what happens next!

****

The most frightening thing my grandmere could ever had said to me had just come from her lips. "Marie-Annette, I will be presenting you for this marriage season." My whole body froze. The marriage season? The. Marriage. Season? Where had that idea come from all of a sudden? "It's been three years, Marie-Annette, and I believe it is time for you to marry." I set my book down on my lap. I was absolutely flabbergasted by her bluntness. "I am only getting older, and I am all you have now. I refuse to leave you on this earth without a husband nor family."

"Grandmere, arret!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "I already told you that I will not be getting married. I don't want to live within a marriage of convenience." It was half true. Grandmother never knew about my first love. She never knew how much pain I was in for years after I had left Pierre-mont.

Papa was sent to the city first while I had stayed behind and took care of our farm. I had made major life changing decisions then. Philippe is now living on my farm with his family, taking care of all the things I used to do with papa. The first year was fine. Papa was getting better. My education was advancing at a fast pace that impressed both my governess and Grandmother. Then, it took a turn for the worst. Papa wasn't getting better, it turned out. His doctors said that they've seen such things happen before. Patients exhibiting echos of health only to get worse after. He died last year. We buried him with mama. In that single storm, Grandmother had revealed to me that my grandfather had written me as heir in his will. More specifically, he stated, 'In the event my child is ever found, she shall inherit my titles, lands, and wealth. In continuation, any of her offspring-whether it be a boy or girl-shall also be my heirs and shall be passed down what was mine'.

I was given a lot in that short period of time. It was a slap to the face, really. After reading my grandfather's will, Grandmother had realized that the DuPont line would end with me if I kept refusing to marry. What she didn't understand was that whether I married or not, the DuPont line would still die out. My name wouldn't continue. My potential husband's would. Which begged the question, "Grandmere, does this have anything to do with grandfrere's will?" I suspiciously watched her sip her tea. The way her lips lingered on the cup a moment too long confirmed what I already knew. "Non, absolutely not!" Lies. I resisted the urge to leave the room and leave her with the words in her mouth. "I am merely trying to protect your estates."

'Protect my estates'? Translation: protect her interests. She's had her eye set on some Count for me. Believe me, this man is older than my papa. God rest his soul! But both him and mama would roll over in their graves if I married that man. "Promise you will at least think about it, Marie-Annette," she gracefully places her teacup down, "Celeste would've wanted you to have a family of your own." Grandmother and I haven't been able to get close. In the three years that we've lived together, we have exchanged more harsh words than gracious ones with each other. Aggie, Grandmother's friend and housekeeper, always says that her and I are too alike which is why we fight so often.

"Mama would respect my decisions." I left without a second glance. I hated whenever she did that. Put words in my own dead mother's mouth when she never even met her. Not the woman I knew.

*****

Don't forget to vote and follow <3