Untitled Part 9

I didn't go to sleep. I wasn't ever going to sleep again, not after the last time almost killed me. But North thinks I'm a sleep, at least that's what he tells the person he calls once he has carried me back to the house. I don't know who he calls, but it seems to make him feel better. I think the person tells him that my mother is dead, so I hope he isn't blaming himself for my tears anymore.

We sit together on the couch for a long time. It's comfortable in his arms; it has been far too long since I've been hugged. But I'm still kind of wondering how I've gone from deathly afraid of North to using North as my new cuddle bear. Well, at least I won't mind if Max is taken away now; North has just gotten a new job.

That was a joke, obviously. I'm sure that the moment I leave his arms I'll be deathly afraid of him again. But for the moment, I'm safe; and I love the feeling.

I play around a little with his jacket, flicking at the buttons. North notices: "Good to see you awake again, Sang. It's lunchtime now, I was thinking of cooking up a few noodles. Is that okay with you?" I nod. As soon as he relaxes his hold on me I squirm out of his arms and scramble to the bathroom.

After freshening up, I sneak down the stairs and watch North in the kitchen. I'm not really afraid of him, not any more, but still... He's intimidating. I'd rather there be one more person with us to make sure he doesn't end up hurting me. Max rubs against my legs in a comforting way, and I take a deep breath. Max wouldn't let him hurt me. At least, I hope so.

We sit down in the same seats as for breakfast, and I find out that North is the best pasta maker I have met — which only means he's better than me and my mom. Still, it's rather surprising. I always thought that pasta was pretty straight forward and there was nothing you could do wrong, but North shows me I was obviously doing something a bit wrong when making pasta. His taste so much better.

Once we're done we clear the dishes and North washes them. Then we kind of just stand there. It's really awkward: I can't talk to him, I'm afraid of him, I also just cried my heart out on his shoulder. Thankfully, the door opens and I have another problem to focus my nervous energy on.

Kota and Victor walk in, greeting North. I'm relieved that it's only them, though it's starting to get a little too crowded in the kitchen for my taste.

"Oy!" A masculine voice calls out and I freeze, practically ripping out the poor dog's fur. "Let me through! Where's the bird you were talking about?"

Kota is shoved out of the way and I see another guy. This one has rich brown hair hanging around his face; only two locks that are tucked behind his ears are blond. His blue eyes sparkle almost as much as the crystal studs in his ears. He has rings everywhere: in his ear, on his hands; and I had never seen someone wear such a bright t-shirt before. I think it would have hurt my eyes too look at it in a store, but on him it somehow looks good.

The guy's eyes sweep over the room before fixating on me. "Oh my God, she is fucking cute! How could you forget to mention that the bird's adorable?" He rushes at me, but stops when he sees me shaking.

"Hey there, don't look so scared. I only wanted to look at your hair. I think the ends might be needing a trim soon, though I can't tell from over here. I'm Gabe, by the way, Gabriel, but you can call me Gabe. What's your name? Can I look at your hair?" I just stare at him, scared. Kota, Victor and North are blocking my escape route out the door. There are too many people in this kitchen.

"She's mute, Gabe." Kota comes closer. "Hey, Sang, are you holding up all right?" I give a short, jerky nod and he continues. "This is Gabriel, he's another member of our team. Don't worry about him. He's pretty bossy when it comes to fashion, but he wouldn't harm a flee."