23. Diamond

His big smile is the first thing I notice when stepping in the salon. "Helllouu hellouu," he grins. It nearly looks devilish. "Why are you so excited?" I squeeze my eyes and look at him like he is keeping something from me. "I just am." he holds me by my shoulders to quickly place to kisses on both cheeks. "Let me get that." he takes my bag and places it a few steps away on a counter. I wasn't even aware he would be here. "You are freaking me out, Charles,"I say truthfully and cross my arms in front of my chest. "Bonjour Anna." A woman with light brown hair and the famous Leclerc dimples enters the room. "Bonjour, Mrs. Leclerc. Sorry, I don't know what Mrs means in french. " I stammer. She immediately waves it off. "Pascale, darling. Let's not be formal. " she steps next to her son, who immediately lays an arm around her. The sight is so sweet it warms my heart. He is such a mama boy. "Thank you so much for taking the time today, Pascale. I really do appreciate it." She doesn't take many clients and actually does this business just for fun. Her sons take care of her mostly, so she is comfortable with just doing whatever she likes. Her employees keep the business flowing while she enjoys life to the fullest. As she should and deserves. And today, she kindly kept her doors open for me after hours. Straight after uni, I rushed over. Since Barcelona, I really didn't have much time to think about my hair and maybe pull out of the idea again. Charles was so quick to organise everything. I simply had no choice but to trust his beloved mother. "Sooo what exactly are we doing? Charles said blonde?" I nod. "Yes, I would like to go colder and brighter. It's a request by the designer, who will dress me for a red carpet apperience in a couple of days. The designer sent me a reference." I pull our my phone and show her the photo. "So you want your golden tone out and become more icy," Pascale says. "Yeah," I nod. "Alright, take a seat and open up your ponytail, I will be right back." I settle into one of the grey salon chairs, releasing my hair from its confining ponytail. As Pascale retrieves the necessary supplies, I glance around the salon. It's a cosy space enlightened by so many different sources of light and filled with the scent of various hair products. The walls are adorned with pictures of her family, including Charles, during his early racing years.Charles, sensing my curiosity, steps right behind my chair and whispers, "Mom loves to keep those pictures up. It reminds her of how far we've come." His voice carries a sense of nostalgia, and I can't help but smile at him through the mirror in front of me. Pascale returns, her hands gloved and holding an array of hair colour potions. She studies me for a moment before speaking, "Anna, I'm going to work my magic." She says in her soft voice and starts to separate my hair in different sections. While so Charles takes a seat on the chair next to me following his mothers hands eager and with a slight smile all time dancing on his face.

" I have something special for you." Pascale placed the last foil in my hair and put her hands on my shoulder for comfort. It took us over an hour to get to this point. She shared so many stories about Charles, just what I hoped for. All in all, we had a blast. With a mischievous grin, she now nods toward the corner of the room.I follow her gaze and notice a grand piano nestled in the corner, bathed in soft, golden light. How did I not notice this earlier. It's an unexpected sight in a hair salon, and I raise an eyebrow."Charles mentioned you have a gifted voice," Pascale says, her eyes twinkling. "While the colour sets, why don't you two make beautiful music together?"I'm taken aback by the proposal, but lately, I felt more and more comfortable raising my voice. And I know Charles's is a talented piano player. This is a safe space where no one could hear us, so why not. A warm feeling of excitement washes over me as I agree, "I'd love to."Charles moves to the piano and gracefully lifts the cover. He sits down, his fingers hovering over the keys for a moment, as if to reconnect with an old friend. He glances over to me with a soft smile and nods at me. It's so subtle that it's hard to notice. Then, he slowly lets his fingers sink down and starts to play a hauntingly beautiful melody, his fingers dancing effortlessly across the ivory keys. I watch and listen in awe as the music fills the salon, surrounding us in a dreamlike atmosphere. It's as though time has slowed, and we're transported to a different world, one where worries and responsibilities fade away. Inspired by the melody, I begin to hum a gentle tune, and soon, our melodies intertwine, creating a harmonious duet that resonates with emotion. Charles's smile is no longer devilish,it's one of pure joy, reflecting the bond we're forming through this musical connection. Our small masterpiece.