12.No More Sunshine

"Good morning" I stand in the middle of the paddock alongside Mark Webber and Oscar Piastri having a very good and interesting chat, when Charles joins in. The attention on my person is more intense today as per usual, at least I felt it is. And to be honest it wouldn't be a shocking surprise. The Tiktok of Jim went absolutely nuts to be precise: viral. It blew basically up in just a matter of hours. Even with all the menpower the legal apartment has they didn't get it down in time. And now it would be the absolute wrong move. It's out there and we have to either earn it or deny it. I fear for my job honestly. And the greeting from the media in the paddock wasn't pleasant either. They got a story they would love to pick on but thank goodness for the unwritten rule to not question the drivers privacy. That's one thing the other is the social media platforms. There are no rules and words spread like flies. Fans know them, the other teams know them and most certainly my own as well. As I've been informed this morning I am been put in time out for today. No official duties just showing the public my face pretending I am happy and good and everything is normal. How I hate that. But it's part of the game. Let's see how much longer I am able to play it. "Ciao Charles" I give him a small hug and a smile under my orange mask. The men exchange fistbumps all around before the Ferrari driver adresses me "Apologies to interrupt. Can I speak to you for a moment?" My eyes wander to the aussies next to me. Mark nods and straightens up his body. "We should definitely get together again and have a talk, Anna." he referring to the conversation we had before Charles popped up. "Sure." I get out a piece of paper, rip it in two pieces and write my number down for them both. "Feel free to contact me at any time and we will set something up." "Cheers" Oscar smiles at me and turns to the Alpine garage. "What was that about?" Charles looks at me confused. "Confidential" "Oh, you are that important now, huh?" he chuckles. "Are you doubting me?" Of course I wasn't just yet. But I have the plan to establish myself in the team not only with my day to day work but also with task far beyond that. Planning ahead is the smartest thing I could do right now and having a young promising driver in my pocket interested in working me while his manager seems to like my attitude and transparency is just the start. Such a talent from one of the closest competitiors in our McLaren bubble would be a big win. If I am able to influence him in signing as out reserve driver for 2023, they have to see me in a much more brighter light. I would've really proven myself. But for all of that I need to keep my job for now. "Of course not. How are you doing? I am sorry it all turned out like this" I sight as we walk on towards our garages that are just on the opposite site of each other. "It's unfortunate and scary" "How is the team and Lando?" "Lando I don't know. I haven't seen him today or heard from him. I guess he has to calm things between him and his girlfriend tho. And McLaren. They put my work on hold and decided to take breather before thinking about my future at the team" "Do you think they will let you go?" I shrug. "They might. Lando is their golden boy." As much as it hurts, this is the reality. They would immediately chose their driver over me. Anything that's hurting his reputation too much needs to be eliminated. "Then you come to ferrari" He winks over. "I doubt that." "But I could use you there. A friendly face." I chuckle. I think it wouldn't be the worst job in the word to be with Charles. On the other site it would put oil in the fire for me to change teams just 3 races into the season. "Let's see." "Up for a drink guys?" a body squeezes between us and a brown tanned arm swings around both our shoulders. "But early innit Dany?" I laugh forgetting about the tension for a refreshing moment. "Well not now, but tonight? I booked a bar for us. Their gin and tonics are really good and they have the best curly fries." He knows exactly that these two things are my week spots.

"Bye bye" "Bye Mum" and with that Mick hangs up the phone to Corinna. We found a nice and quite spot near the garages where we could talk for a moment. This race wasn't what he expected. It's been a hard start into this season and with Kevin doing great Mick is under a lot more pressure. Someone who is great at getting both of us in a space of positivity is Micks mum. God only knows how she always finds the right words. Even after a day like this. I wasn't even allowed talking to the drivers outside the motorhome. I couldn't do any work. It was depressing. I mean, for what reason am I here even if not to do my job. For the race I got placed in Daniel's part of the garage and from that point I enjoyed my day for nearly 1,5 hours. With a P5 for Lando and a P6 for Daniel the team was satisfied. A difference waved into the team after that result. Positive waves that been noticeable in the Communication team itself. I've been excused for the rest of the day. So I immediately changed into normal clothing and went of to socialize. Taking pictures with fans and talking to them seemed like a productive thing to do. And with all the debrief going on where I wasn't part of any of that I had so much time for them, which they appricated. "She is right. We need to get our heads around something else" I smirk up to him. "I know I know. Daniel rented the bar didn't he?" I scratch my forehead remembering the situation from this morning. "Yeah, are you going?" I ask him leaning my head against the wall. Mick scrolls through his phone. "No, I am not in the mood to be honest. And you should probably go to bed as well." He is right. It's the only sensible thing to do. "I should." He stops and looks at me. Even with the mask on I can see him smirking. Fine lines form around his sparkling blue eyes. "You are going right?" "Yeah" I chuckle and lift my hands in the air. What can I do? Saying no to a party? Hell no. Daniel told me right to never turn down free alcohol. Mick chuckles under his breath while shaking his head. He knew it. And I can't wait to get absolutely waisted and forget about this whole drama.