Honey sweet venom

☽✵☾
"ℑ𝔣 𝔖𝔥𝔢'𝔡 𝔨𝔫𝔬𝔴𝔫 𝔥𝔬𝔴 𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔶 𝔦𝔱 𝔴𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔡 𝔟𝔢, 𝔱𝔬 𝔰𝔦𝔪𝔭𝔩𝔶 𝔭𝔬𝔦𝔰𝔬𝔫 𝔥𝔦𝔪 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔴𝔞𝔱𝔠𝔥 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞 𝔰𝔪𝔦𝔩𝔢 𝔞𝔰 𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔢𝔶𝔢𝔰 𝔟𝔢𝔤𝔞𝔫 𝔱𝔬 𝔠𝔯𝔶 𝔱𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔰 𝔬𝔣 𝔟𝔩𝔬𝔬𝔡, 𝔰𝔥𝔢 𝔴𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔡 𝔥𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔡𝔬𝔫𝔢 𝔦𝔱 𝔶𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔰 𝔞𝔤𝔬."
☽✵☾

Selene stared into the picturesque landscape from the Astronomy tower ledge, rolling hills and swaying trees practically glowing in the silvery light of the moon. Blue, inky skies stretched above her. Crisp winds glided into the tower, nipping at her skin. The air smelled of peace.

Between her ringed fingers, Selene held a lit cigarette, pressing the end to her red lips and exhaling, blowing sweet smoke into the cool air.

Smoking was habit she'd picked up not long ago; her muggle father left them around the house constantly, cigarette ash permanently sprinkled within the carpets. Selene had hated it at first. The smell of cigarette smoke had always reminded her too much of home. Her mother had always told Selene not to smoke the way her father smokes. It'll ruin your pretty lungs.

Selene smoked for the first time at her mother's funeral. She'd stamped the ash onto her grave.

Flicking the remains of the cigarette off the ledge, watching it decend into the darkness below, Selene sat back, deep in thought.

Something was wrong with Tom Riddle.

She had realised it first on the train. She'd never been alone with him before, or payed any attention to him in general. He'd been in some of her classes, but She'd never really thought anything much of him, other than the fact he was an obnoxious, Slytherin, teacher's pet.

But now, that innocent school boy image faltered.

Tom Riddle reeked of dark magic. It followed the air around him, sinister forces poisoning the oxygen, a toxic cloud of darkness suffocating any sunlight.

Selene wasn't sure how nobody else seemed to notice. Perhaps it was only because she was familiar with with the intoxicating, lethal aroma that follows the use of dark magic.

Why would Tom Riddle be using dark magic?

The question intrigued her, yet she knew pursuing her curiosity would surely not end particularly well. Who knows what Tom Riddle does in his free time. Something creepy, Selene nodded to herself with a scoff.

Whatever it was, Selene knew she should mind her own business. The less attention on her now, the better; the entire school seemed to have their eyes set on her, due to Helios' untimely death.

Selene stifled a laugh. Oh, it had been easy. So easy. If She'd known how easy it would be, to simply poison him and watch with a smile as his eyes began to cry tears of blood, she would have done it years ago.

Nobody suspected her. Nobody even questioned her. She had stood, fake tears pooling in her brown eyes, dressed in stylish black, holding back a laugh at her brother's funeral. Her father had been shaking with sobs. It was highly amusing.

No, Selene couldn't risk anything blowing her cover. She simply had to get through 7th year, act kindly towards Riddle, smile and greet her friends in the corridors, study for her newts. Keep the facade going for one more year.

One more year.

****

The next few weeks of September passed as usual for Selene: spending her days with her big group of 'friends', and her nights patrolling the corridors with Tom. Nothing of much interest occurred on such nights, only reserved conversation with Tom.