NINE

When we were young, most of us wanted to grow up quickly. We wanted to be adults so that no one could tell us what to do. Being an adult meant that we got to be free, we could do all of the good things that come with life. I was never that way though, I didn't want to grow up. I wanted to stay as young as possible for as long as possible. I realized that being an adult meant I would be able to do whatever I wanted, but those things now had consequences. That I wasn't actually free, and that I didn't get all of the good things that come in life due to the family I was born into.

I was forced to grow up before I was ready. I saw my father kill a man for the first time when I was six years old. I remember the mans face, every now and then I can smell the stale air of the cell he stayed in. This was normal for us though, I wasn't aware that this was not normal for the rest of the world. So it was a rude awakening when my parents were called to my school after I pulled a knife on a little girl who wouldn't stop bothering me in the third grade. I was expelled from school and put in a private school where my father had to pay them to keep their mouths shut.

There were a lot of children in this community, and for the life of me I hope they make it. Most of them weren't born into this life, they were sold into it and they weren't ready. They had to grow up too soon.

"We're here Alessandra." My attention is turned to the smooth voice of Rafael. I turn to look at him holding the car door open. I place my heel clad feet onto the concrete of the sidewalk and stand next to him as he closes the door. Along with Rafael, there are four other soldiers here to escort me into the next store we're collecting money from.

Each week we make rounds to each of the stores we use to smuggle our products. As we walk into the small shop, the people shopping around stop and stare. Although I like to believe they stare because I'm just that beautiful I know that isn't the truth. Maybe partially. The full truth is that most of them know who we are and what we are here for. People move to the outer edges of the store as we make our way to the back room where the owners office is. 

I do the polite thing and knock before entering, as I open the door I see the owner of the store sitting behind his desk. "Tommaso, it's nice to see you again." I smile walking into the room. With a surprised look on his face, he sits up straighter before standing. "Alessandra," Tommaso walks over to me with a nervous smile and gestures to the seat behind his desk, "Please, take a seat." 

I walk behind the desk and take a seat, Rafael moves to lean on the front of the desk casually with his arms crossed in front of his chest. With two men posted at the door outside the room, and two inside the room. Rafael begins to speak, "I'm sure you know why we are here."

"Tommaso it has been a while, yes?" I prompt looking at the shaking man. He's obviously hiding something.

"Alessandra I've told you, call me Tommy. I insist." He spoke as he took a seat in one of the arm chairs in the office. 

"I don't want you to think we are friends Tommaso. You know why we are here, it's been months since you've paid us what you owe. For your sake, I hope I see your money within the next two minutes." 

Rafael shifted his posture to stand, broadening his shoulders and looking Tommaso directly in his eyes. "Hand it over." He spoke, "Or you will have a bigger debt to pay." 

Outside of the office I could hear a woman's voice speaking in a thick Italian accent. The room was still for a moment as we listened to the conversation outside. A mother speaking to her son, telling him to stay away. We could all hear the rustling of the mother trying to pull her son away from the door, I shifted my gaze to Tommaso. "Is that your wife Tommy?" The left corner of my red stained lips lifted slightly as fear became evident on his face. "And your son?"

"Alessandra please-" 

I sat up straighter in the chair and looked at my men posted at the door. "Bring them to me." The door opened and there they were, mother and son. Their faces strikingly similar except her face was pale and his was red. I stood and made my way toward them, "You must be the family of my dear friend Tommaso, please come in." 

Tommaso's wife scurried past me with her son in tow, to stand behind her husband. I felt their stares as I stood next to Rafael. "I'm not sure your family is aware of the debt you put them in, maybe them being here will give you a bit more motivation to give us our money. We don't ask a third time." Rafael spoke. 

"We don't have the money." His voice was strong, and he was angry. His face turning a bright red color as he stood in front of his coward of a father. I raised an eyebrow, "So how do you intend to pay us, piccolo?" The boy couldn't have been more than 14 years old, but there was so much fire behind his eyes. He was a born fighter, which was miraculous considering his father who was shaking behind the boy.

"We just need more time." He spoke, hands fisted at his side. 

"You don't have more time," I looked over at the soldiers who took their que to detain Tommaso and his wife. Their knees met the floor and their wrists came together behind their backs. "Clearly you think my brother is a joke Tommy, and I can't have that. So, which of you are going first?"

Rafael raised his gun, "Personally, I think ladies should go first. At least she won't have to live with your death." I looked over at him, nodding. "You're right Rafa, I've never thought of it that way."

"Well he's already put them in this situation, I just thought it would be better for him to be more considerate. They wouldn't be here if-"

"Take me instead." There was that strong voice again. It felt like déjà vu, I could see myself and Rafael standing before my father like all those years ago. When he sacrificed himself to help me, to be with me. 

I glanced at the boy once more, surprised. "Okay." Then there were tears from the mother and the Tommaso's face was frozen in horror. "Take the boy to the car, then teach my friend Tommy a lesson."

Rafael's face abruptly turned toward me, showing his surprise. I made my way out of the office and outside to the car with Rafael trailing behind me. "You're seriously taking the boy?" 

"Yes I am. He'll go far, I can tell. He reminds me of you." I spoke with a smile. 

"Don't you feel guilty? He's just a kid." I took a moment before replying. Of course I felt guilty, I was taking a son away from his family. Not only that but I was introducing him to a life I hated just so that I could save face. Just so that I would be okay. It was not something I was proud of, but it was something I needed to do. 

"I don't have time to feel guilty Rafael, neither do you. Please inform my brother of what has happened, the boy will initiate tomorrow."

A/N

Hello my lovely people, I hope that you all enjoyed this chapter. Please let me know if you have any feedback, if you did enjoy the chapter don't forget to hit the star or comment to let me know. Thank you <3